MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:18 AM   #1
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

Default Competition Trailer Size

I'm planning to purchase a competition trailer sometime in the future and would like to know from your experience, is there an overall length size limit on the trailer or what you can bring and set up at a competition? Thanks for the help.
[B]Superior SS-3[/B] - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburner
[B]Weber[/B] 22.5" WSM
[B]Weber[/B] 26.75" OTG
[B]Weber[/B] Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
[B]Weber[/B] Red 1998 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

There is no limit other than it needs to be able to fit in the space you have paid for. I like to have a space large enough to fit both my truck and trailer in comfortably. I have a 8'x18' trailer fully self contained and a 3500 dodge dually. I like to pull the awning out too so I will usually get a extra size space. Also the size trailer I have is just about right for a full size kitchen with storage and pits. I have a FEC100 mounted inside and for now a Traeger 075. I have room and plans for a left handed FEC100 to mount inside too. Here are a couple pics as I was building it.

Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
getyourrubonbbq
Take a breath!

It's more or less personal preference and budget. We build primarily 8.5X18-20's for comp teams. Most comps allow you to purchase more space if you go with a larger rig. Here's a couple we've done. the first is 8.5X18 the second is 8.5X20 both have 8' porches.

[URL="http://www.extremebbqtrailers.com"]www.extremebbqtrailers.com[/URL]
getyourrubonbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2010, 11:33 AM   #4
crd26a
Full Fledged Farker

We're looking at getting one this year as well (been a long search) and like the idea of 7 or 8 x 16 - the biggest reason is this will keep the trailer at 20 ft in total length and able to be in most spaces. Even if we get squeezed down to a 20 x 20, we could get the trailer parked and have 10 x 20 to still cook on and setup.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRA4Life View Post
I'm planning to purchase a competition trailer sometime in the future and would like to know from your experience, is there an overall length size limit on the trailer or what you can bring and set up at a competition? Thanks for the help.
Depends on what you want on the trailer. Do you want any living/sleeping space, bathroom? If so you're looking at overall with tongue of about 30'. You can do it with less. 8.5 feet vs. 8 or 7 is a big difference in space. Check out trailers that have been finished at each size and see how much even the 8: means for getting around. And ceiling 6.5 or 7 feet? another consideration.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
dewkster56
Found some matches.

Having one built as we speak. Went with 7x16 thought that would be good start and hopefully one day move to something larger. Great pics, I am looking for different ways to finish interior.
dewkster56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2010, 12:02 PM   #7
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Border War - I saw one you might be interested in on craigslist this past week.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/grd/1551695021.html - AC/breaker box and some sort of kitchenette already in there. It does have cargo doors but a ramp could easily be made.

NRA4Life
What would you be pulling your trailer with? I got a 8.5'x24' and it's about all my 3/4 Hemi can pull. If I were to do it again, I'd look for an 18-20' trailer. While it's nice to have the room in the 24' trailer, I know we would be fine in a smaller one - assuming it was still 8.5 wide. Ford's right, that extra width is definitely nice especially if you're putting tables on both sides.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2010, 12:19 PM   #8
QueTPiesBBQ
On the road to being a farker

We currenlty have a 8.5'x18' with a porch, picture is below. I like the size, but would like to have more room. Hard decision to balance size with cost on space. We pull ours with a f350 1 ton and have no problems. :)

Old 01-17-2010, 03:05 PM   #9
crd26a
Full Fledged Farker

Bobby - Thanks for the link, emailing them now

Old 01-18-2010, 08:53 AM   #10
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
What would you be pulling your trailer with? I got a 8.5'x24' and it's about all my 3/4 Hemi can pull. If I were to do it again, I'd look for an 18-20' trailer. While it's nice to have the room in the 24' trailer, I know we would be fine in a smaller one - assuming it was still 8.5 wide. Ford's right, that extra width is definitely nice especially if you're putting tables on both sides.
F250 Super Duty with a diesel is going to have lots of towing power for my new 26'. When I pull the 16' behind it now I can do 85 uphill in the foothills heading from Colorado down to New Mexico then over to Vegas. And I had lots of gas pedal left. No where near the 3400rpms I turn at max power. Ford's rule.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:13 PM   #11
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRA4Life View Post
Every competition is different. YOur best bet is to contact the individual competitions directly (or at least look at a few competition applications) and ask them. Most common booth size is 10x10 and 20x20, although a lot of competitions do allow you to purchase more space (if they have room).

Just don't be one of those teams that tries to squeeze cookers, tents, truck & trailer on a 10 or 15 foot site. We had a bad experience with a neighboring team that parked their 25 foot RV across the back of a 20 foot site. It gave their friends the impression that their site was 25 feet wide and we had major issues all night long.

Don't forget to account for ramps and doors (especially if you have a rear door/ramp).

Old 01-18-2010, 12:45 PM   #12
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Size is just one consideration. Next is porch or not. Both have advantages. Also depends on where you are going to park it for security and the type of smoker you plan to use. Talk to everyone you can and see as many as you can before you make the plunge. Good luck and happy trails.

And don't forget to consider weight and pulling issues too.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #13
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Another thing to consider is if you want to vend in the future. Putting in a vending window after the fact is a pain. having one on the side with a rear ramp door means you need a lot more space for vending and believe me they charge way more than contests for space. A lot to be said for a back vending window but then there's a ramp door issue if you want one. And a back porch means any vending is out the side but at least you know your length in advance.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:04 PM   #14
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for all the great inputs, suggestions, and considerations. I'll be pulling it with a Toyota Tundra 5.7L so that shouldn't be too much problem. I'm looking at a trailer with the rear porch to put my smoker on, and future vending could be a possibility. Just wasn't sure about length of the trailer and I guess keeping it less than 20 feet would ensure I'd get into comps without an extra fee.
[B]Superior SS-3[/B] - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburner
[B]Weber[/B] 22.5" WSM
[B]Weber[/B] 26.75" OTG
[B]Weber[/B] Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
[B]Weber[/B] Red 1998 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2010, 03:40 PM   #15
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Check and see where I'm competing or vendingthis year and maybe you can make a weekend drive and see it. It's a little over 350 miles from Newark to Grand Rapids MI. I drove it more than a few times although I usually fles. Spent 13 months with OC at the R&D center and many days out at the plant in Newark.

Thanks from:--->