WSM maiden voyage today. Tips?

syndicate559

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
OK guys, getting ready to head out and fire up the new 22.5 WSM this afternoon. Gonna do a 4 lb. tri-tip, 3 bone-in chicken breasts (halves) and will throw some corn on the cob on the top grate later. Pretty sure I can separate the beef and chicken on the bottom with no problem. So I'll do a minion method light, use mix of Kingsford blue, RO lump and a few hickory chunks. My question is: If I light about 12 briquettes in the chimney, dump them in and let it come up to temp, what's a good rule of thumb for how far open the bottom and top vents should be? Half open on all of them, only one open, just barely open? I have no idea and I know I'll get to know this cooker the more I use it, but just wondered if one starting point is better than another. I'll get some pics throughout the cook too, if I remember. Thanks for any and all help.

I'd open them all the way to start with and when the kettle temp gets within about 30 degrees of where you want to cook, close them down to about half way. When you get within about 10 degrees of your target, close them a little more and repeat until the pit temp settles in to where you want it...

Leave them open until you start getting close to desired temp, then start shutting them down to stabilize.

Keep in mind that the pit temp changes are not immediate when you adjust the vents. Be patient. Give yourself 30 minutes before you make more vent adjustments.

Oh, and don't overcook that tri-tip!

The others covered most of it, but since one of your questions was a ball park on vents vs temp range I'll tell you this:

My WSM22.5" likes the following configuration to lock in 250*F:

-Kingsford Blue
-Water in the water pan (haven't tried sand or empty yet)
-Top vent fully open (never close this while cooking)
-One bottom vent fully closed, one bottom vent halfway open, one bottom vent fully open (i make this one oppose the top vent in my head it creates a better airflow pattern).

If I need to adjust the temp up or down, I do so by adjusting that half-open vent more open or more closed. I only ever have all three vents open when I'm doing wings, and I only ever have all three closed when I'm killing the fire.

Keep in mind this is how MY WSM functions in MY area's climate. YMMV, but this should get you in the ballpark.

OK guys, getting ready to head out and fire up the new 22.5 WSM this afternoon. Gonna do a 4 lb. tri-tip, 3 bone-in chicken breasts (halves) and will throw some corn on the cob on the top grate later. Pretty sure I can separate the beef and chicken on the bottom with no problem. So I'll do a minion method light, use mix of Kingsford blue, RO lump and a few hickory chunks. My question is: If I light about 12 briquettes in the chimney, dump them in and let it come up to temp, what's a good rule of thumb for how far open the bottom and top vents should be? Half open on all of them, only one open, just barely open? I have no idea and I know I'll get to know this cooker the more I use it, but just wondered if one starting point is better than another. I'll get some pics throughout the cook too, if I remember. Thanks for any and all help.

Only thing I can add....It's ALWAYS windy at my place! I face two of the vents into the wind and shut completely then play with the back vent till it dials in. Works for me....unless its STUPID windy. Then...well...fight it all day!!!!!:mad2:

My experience has always been to open them all up all the way for ~ 30 min. Then close them 2/3. Leave the top open all the way the entire time.

Just my $0.02.

My experience has always been to open them all up all the way for ~ 30 min. Then close them 2/3. Leave the top open all the way the entire time.

Just my $0.02.

I've wondered if I coudl get away with all three open halfway, rather than my 1 open 1 closed 1 halfway method. I don't see why not, it should be the same airflow. However, I've hesitated because it's more variables to control (three vs one).

If this is the first time you've fired it up, you might want to start shutting them down sooner than 30 degrees before your target temp because until you build up a little gunk on the walls they can get hot pretty fast.

prepare to run hot the first cook. my first cook I was pulling around 400 with only one vent 1/2 open. now its tough to get that hot. alot of the temp is based on how much lit charcoal is going before you close it up. if you close her up at 225, it might take 2 hours to need to further restrict airflow. Oddly the WSM is the only thing Ive used where 3 hours into the cook you have to dial it back. Im used to the smoker losing temp, not gaining temp

Started with the bottom vents fully open and like some of you said, it took off like a rocket. It was probably the combination of it being brand new and it being about 105 here today:rolleyes: Anyway, choked it back down and got it to hold a dome temp of 275. Here's a pic of it fired up for the very first time.
wsm-firstcook.jpg

first load of meat to go into the WSM...

wsm-firstmeat.jpg

The tri-tip was done really quickly, but I got it pulled at 140 and will have plenty of time for it to rest

tri-tip.jpg

I'll probably get some pron when the chicken is done and the tri-tip is sliced.

Looks great! :thumb:

Might want to foil the waterpan next time, makes cleanup easier afterwards.

DAM

The only thing that comes to mind iS what Mister Rogers said everyday.

WON'T YOU BE MY NEIGHBOR?

How cum none of youz live nearby, Jeez I got ta do all the cookin for this block!

I tink your gonna luv that WSM!!!!!:thumb:

OK, got the tri-tip sliced and the chicken is finished. Did some corn on the cob too at the end.

The tri-tip cooked a lot faster than I wanted it to, but it's got good flavor, plenty of moisture. It got ahead of me, though, and I got it pulled at 140. I usually like to pull my tri-tip when the center is about 135. This wasn't as medium-rear in the middle as I like. It was medium, but it was the first cook on the WSM.

sliced-tri.jpg

I brined the chicken (first time doing that for me) in a simple solution with kosher salt, garlic and pepper, plus a couple of chiles dropped in the water. Only had time to let it brine for a couple hours. Seasoned pretty lightly, just because I didn't want the rub/brine combination to be too much. Figured I'd rather come in a little under-seasoned the first time than over. Chicken turned out really nicely, I think.

chicken-breasts.jpg

Anyway, got the first cook under my belt and already learned quite a bit about my new WSM. She and I still have a way to go before we'll be a truly harmonious team, but not a bad start IMO. Thanks for looking everybody.

Back