Larger Smoker Design- Options

Panthers65

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey everybody, first off wanted to share a few pics from a church Picnic I did this weekend. Totaled about 160# of PP and another 75# of pulled chicken (precook weight)

IMG_3643_zpsxag5srep.jpg

IMG_3655_zpshukuruan.jpg

IMG_3660_zpsun8xytas.jpg

IMG_3660_zpsun8xytas.jpg

That being said, we are looking to do more events like this as a church and the quantity is quickly finding the limitations of my residential grade smokers. The UDS took 2x as long as normal, and I struggled with airflow with the Ok Joe whereas I'm normally decent at my fire management. So I'm starting to think about a new smoker before the next event. Just thinking out loud and wanted y’alls opinion.

Initial Requirements:

1. Full pans- I cook in half pans a lot due to space, but with that quantity stepping up to full pans would be helpful. Plus this time we had a company do Mac N Cheese and Beans and they delivered in full pans.
2. Space- around 20-30 butts at once.
3. Ease- While I do enjoy sitting around tending a fire when I’m cooking for my own family, when doing an event for others I’d like more consistency. I think this would happen with any time of smoker that is appropriately sized, but I overloaded my smokers this weekend and it was not an easy cook.
4. Fuel- I’m not deadest on fuel one way or another, but I live in the suburbs of Atlanta and finding a good source of wood splits is getting difficult. Most people around here sell “seasoned firewood” and that’s as descriptive as they get. SOMETIMES they’ll specify hardwood, but getting different flavors (cherry, apple, pecan, hickory, oak, ect…) can be troublesome, or I’ll pay for it (275+ for a truckload). Is it worthwhile/better to drive an hour to pick up a bed full of wood for $150-ish, vs buying lump/charcoal and chunks of wood from Lowes/HD and just accepting I might need 2-3 bags to get through a big cook. What about large smokers with propane for heat/assist?
5. Anything else I’m missing? Church has a full kitchen, 2 big ovens, sinks, commercial fridge, so a little prep area would be nice, but I’ve got lots of prep room in the kitchen if I need it. A burner might be nice if I want to do Brunswick step, but hasn’t come up yet.

Not really a requirement, but I’d like for it to be mobile. There’s just something that gets people excited walking out to eat and smelling fresh smoke, even if it’s just burning wood or keeping things warm.
Also, I have a green jobsite box in my backyard that hasn’t been used in a few years, I’d essentially consider it scrap. I can fab metal, and wouldn’t mind turning it into a smoker. ID on the box is around 20x20x36, so it’s not big enough to hold full pans, but it could be used as a firebox + Wood warming box. Tossed around the idea of picking up a big propane taken and welding the two together for a smoker.

Humphrey’s, Deep South And others have Extra Large Insulated charcoal cabinet Smokers. Or an Ole Hickory gas unit like posted above or Myron Mixon H2O Insulated stick burners........or a Big Shirley Fab trailer stick burner.

Will the Church own it? - if Church has a kitchen and the Church owns it -may have to meet any guidelines the kitchen does like Health Dept., CL Listed, NTSF (or whatever it is) etc.......?

Does it need to be mobile as in on a trailer? Or just on wheels to move in and out of a garage.?

https://myronmixonsmokers.com/mms60-h20-water-smoker

https://www.olehickorypits.com/mobhome

Last edited:
Thanks yall. I'll be buying the smoker, using it at home too, but I have the two smokers in above picture I'll probably use most of the time at home.

That being said, NSF/COmmercial approval doesn't matter, but since I"m buying it price will. can't swing a $10K smoker, thinking closer to $2-3K, used would be nice.

Anyone have opinions on the assassin 24? 2 full pans per rack. should be able to get 7-8 butts per rack

mobile is either on a trailer, or I have the ability to push up up on my trailer with a ramp/small winch

Since your in Georgia I would look an Assassin Gravity feed Hog Cooker. They are in Macon. Can have it mounted on a trailer for portability. There was someone out that way selling a 5ft version.

A 500Gallon propane tank smoker sounds like a good match for your needs.

Someone like Piggyback Smokers, LLC out of Bells, TN should be able to deliver in a reasonable timeframe and meet your cost constraints with a stick burner.

An Assassin Gravity fed charcoal model is probably your best option though, meeting your price target for the capacity needed might be a bit challenging.

meeting your price target for the capacity needed might be a bit challenging.

I know you want portable, but have you considered a stacked cinderblock pit? I made one just for the hell of it and it works great. Obviously not portable, but inexpensive and scalable to any size you want. If this is something that's going to be done at your church, then you can "build" it there on the grounds. Pictured is my reverse flow offset version. It works really well.

4sDJSXyl.jpg

I am going to second Smitty, on the humphreys. They have some cabinets that have a TON of room. But there are other cabinet companies that would do a good job.

Not far north of you, is this company and their cabinets look really good
http://www.bqgrills.com/Vertical Direct Feed Smokers Page.htm

Check out Spicewine Iron Works.
https://www.spicewineironworks.com/smoker-models/

The owner Jay Curry is a long time member here and makes a beast of a Cooker that will last several life times. Give Jay a call to discuss your cooking needs.

I have their Large Model and couldn't be happier with it.

Good luck with whatever cooker you go with.

Check out a place in Charleston, SC called Gorilla Fabrications. They make some really good smokers. I've got one of their "hog style" smokers and it's a pretty good piece of equipment. Huge cooking racks which can hold a ton of meat.

http://www.gorillafabrication.com/barbecue-trailers/

Look at what they're calling the "Woodsman Trailer" and that's pretty close to the cooker they built for me. Mine has a firebox so I can cook with wood splits or charcoal, and it has two large propane burners inside so I can cook with that as well. It's a great cooker and I've been using it for a few months now for my catering / vending business.
They mounted the cooker on the back of the my food trailer and I think the cost was right at $2K for just the cooker.

I cook with wood splits for the first couple of hours then I wrap everything in hotel pans and put it back on the cooker and use the propane to finish cooking. I'm very happy I went with this style of cooker as it gives me the flavor of a stickburner with the convenience of a pellet cooker. It takes little effort to dial in the temps when using propane and I've ran it for 12+ hours with less than 5° change in the temp...just amazing.

Good luck with whatever you choose but I think this particular cooker would fit your needs quite well.

Back