Wanting to build a offset smoker

Regardless of what you do. Buy Franklin bbq manifesto. The pit building will help a lot. Not too mention use Felton’s online calculator for sizes and such. There are more to smokers than slapping pipes together. That baby has got to draw fire and smoke!

Please go here and check it out!

https://www.smokerplans.net

Pick the size you want and buy the plans, or call them and talk your ideas through with them! They will happily tell you what will work and what won’t and sell you a set of drawings that will WORK!

You can’t just stick two pieces of pipe together and crank out good food.

There’s more there than meets the eye.

Thanks for the responses so far. Will definitely buy a set of plans. I have a 250 gallon tank that will be used. Would you guys go straight offset or reverse flow?

Since you asked, if I was building a 250 gallon cooker I would build an offset.

Learn the cooker and use the “hot spots” to your advantage.

Thanks for the responses so far. Will definitely buy a set of plans. I have a 250 gallon tank that will be used. Would you guys go straight offset or reverse flow?

After buying a reverse flow, I think reverse is the way to go. I like it better than traditional because theres a lot less wasted space and with the right design you still get great convection and no ash on your food.

I built a reverse flow pit out of cinderblocks using Feldon's calculator. First, I'm really happy with the way that reverse flow works. Second, the calculator seems to be right on point. It draws nice and generally behaves itself well, which ain't too bad for a bunch of concrete blocks just stacked on each other.

As others have said I personally prefer reverse flow since it's easy to use and generally eliminates hot spots.

Before you go and buy plans (though certainly a good idea) there's another BBQ forum that has a lot of VERY good builders who offer some great advice on builds. Not sure if they want me posting that forum here, but I'll shoot you a PM.

Good luck either way and I'm looking forward to seeing the build / final product.

Back