• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Grilling Contest

Sledneck

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My son Steven and I had a great time doing the NEBS grilling consest this past weekend in East Hartford CT. Typically i excuse myself from doing it and focus only on the KCBS. At the last minute my son told me friday night that he wanted to do it. There i was shopping at 2:00 AM saturday morning at a 24 hour grocery store for all of the ingredients. The first turn in was at 12:00 PM , i showed up at the contest at 11:00Am:shock: Tossed everything out of my truck got a quick inspection lit some coals and got the entry in on time. My son wanted to to do the pork chops all on his own and he came in 4th and is still smiling ear to ear today. In a pinch i had to use fish sticks for my fish kabob entry becasue the frozen salmon i bought was precooked. We improvised and came in 6th out of 7th. Sorry Big Dog.:biggrin: This led me to the the thought of an Iron man grilling category where the organizer provides the teams with an unknown food. Does anybody else share my thought on this?

On another note about this weekends contest. I noticed that in between turn ins (which were an hour)one of the judges would come out of the tent and hang out with one of the teams the entire time in between until he had to go back and judge. This really irked me. I dont know what the rules are on this or if their is a rule. If a judge came over to me i would ask them to leave immediately as not to compromise the time and effort i was putting into my entries. I know this has been discussed in another thread at length but that was about hanging out with a team then leaving to judge. In KCBS we all basically cook the same, in the grilling the categories as well as ingredients vary greatly that your entry could be very distinctive. Would this bother any of you?

My son Steven and I had a great time doing the NEBS grilling consest this past weekend in East Hartford CT. Typically i excuse myself from doing it and focus only on the KCBS. At the last minute my son told me friday night that he wanted to do it. There i was shopping at 2:00 AM saturday morning at a 24 hour grocery store for all of the ingredients. The first turn in was at 12:00 PM , i showed up at the contest at 11:00Am:shock: Tossed everything out of my truck got a quick inspection lit some coals and got the entry in on time. My son wanted to to do the pork chops all on his own and he came in 4th and is still smiling ear to ear today. In a pinch i had to use fish sticks for my fish kabob entry becasue the frozen salmon i bought was precooked. We improvised and came in 6th out of 7th. Sorry Big Dog.:biggrin: This led me to the the thought of an Iron man grilling category where the organizer provides the teams with an unknown food. Does anybody else share my thought on this?

On another note about this weekends contest. I noticed that in between turn ins (which were an hour)one of the judges would come out of the tent and hang out with one of the teams the entire time in between until he had to go back and judge. This really irked me. I dont know what the rules are on this or if their is a rule. If a judge came over to me i would ask them to leave immediately as not to compromise the time and effort i was putting into my entries. I know this has been discussed in another thread at length but that was about hanging out with a team then leaving to judge. In KCBS we all basically cook the same, in the grilling the categories as well as ingredients vary greatly that your entry could be very distinctive. Would this bother any of you?

Hell Yes:!:

and congratulations on a good time with your son8)

Fish sticks!!! You are killing me!!! Must not have been "gourmet" fish sticks. Otherwise you could have been 5th.

we did a contest just like what you called the Iron Man grilling contest, In Yardley Iy was called Iron Chef.. they gave us fish,corn on the cob and sweet potatos..kind of cool. smoked the Talipia on cedar planks, did a savory sweet potato on top of the fish followed by the come we stripped it down tring to leave the corn in sheets..took 10th. was cool but not worth adding a 3rd day to a comp..

There is a specific instruction about that in the Contest Judges Instructions
http://www.kcbs.us/kcbs_bbq_contest_judges_instructions.jsp

The pertinent part says

"Contest Day:
Do not fraternize with the cooking teams or enter their cooking site until after conclusion of judging"

It would be my guess that at the grilling contest this weekend "Bluesaque" the judges went to a team that was not competing in the grilling events. Not every team did, so if they went to one that wasn't then no rule was broken.
Nobody visited The Anchormen during the grilling or BBQ contest.
any thoughts from the other Brethren who were there?

It would be my guess that at the grilling contest this weekend "Bluesaque" the judges went to a team that was not competing in the grilling events. Not every team did, so if they went to one that wasn't then no rule was broken.
Nobody visited The Anchormen during the grilling or BBQ contest.
any thoughts from the other Brethren who were there?
It was at a competing teams site

care to pm me the team name? if not I understand.
Or better did they win?

I understand that.
I did see Mark, the rep, and Vito, the organizer tell one judge that visiting teams was not allowed.

I'd love to do an Iron Chef Grilling contest. Would be a ton of fun. In general it's a lot of extra work to do the grilling contests but I enjoy the wide range of things you can do with each category.

I'd love to do an Iron Chef Grilling contest. Would be a ton of fun. In general it's a lot of extra work to do the grilling contests but I enjoy the wide range of things you can do with each category.
I was thinking about just one category so its does not add a day to a contest. Example. We finish our 4-5 entries. then we all get the surprise ingredient. We all run back and have a time frame to make something out of. The ingredient could be provided by a a local butcher, fish market, store etc. and that portion is named for that store as a form of advertisement, The possibilities are endless.

The possibilities are endless.

OK...keep going...you're on a roll..

Smokin Gnome is right though..Yardley does have the Iron Chef category..I think last year when I cooked with the 2 Fat Polocks they got a potato, sausage and onion.. I think Michele did a real niced vidalia onion stuffed with sausage with potatoes...

I was thinking about just one category so its does not add a day to a contest. Example. We finish our 4-5 entries. then we all get the surprise ingredient. We all run back and have a time frame to make something out of. The ingredient could be provided by a a local butcher, fish market, store etc. and that portion is named for that store as a form of advertisement, The possibilities are endless.

That sounds like alot of fun... however I am sure that the iron men are told before hand what the main ingredient is... otherwise they would not have a clue what to bring... if you made the main ingredient within the reach of all the participants so that they would have the major accompaning ingredients that would be alot of fun e.g. fish sticks!!!

Sled, you have a lock on fish sticks!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Why didn't you say anything to the reps running it ?

Why didn't you say anything to the reps running it ?
Thats where this gets "sticky". This judge is a former member here on this site. I did not want to look as if though i had a vendetta.Add in the fact that i was busy cooking and i am not a rat. I tried to ignore it but it has been eating at me ever since. The other part of this is the team he was visiting i am friendly with and did not want to cause waves.If it does then so be it they should have not been fraternizing with him and should know better

Back