• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Rookie Team Q/A with Harry Soo

M

mbrailey

Harry Soo and some of the other more accomplished cooks in California are answering questions for new teams as part of a mentoring program at the CBBQA site.

Stop on by and fire away with your questions or just peruse the answers that have already been provided.

http://www.cbbqa.org/forum/index.php?showforum=74

seeing I was not sure which angle you were coming from. Don't you believe that is created by them? Self prtomotion really rubs folks the wrong way. Whether that be California, Illinois, New York, et al... That is what I see from the misc forums, including the CBBQA.

True, but just different Harry & Benny haters on the CBBQA site...

Self promotion from BBQ teams...Seems that is the name of the game in Competition BBQ so your point is lost on me...To many teams see a reflection in the mirror and don't want to admit it.

What's that link at the bottom of your signature? So as long as we do it for a good cause it's OK?

Dang what's with the negativity? Harry is doing a great service for new teams by answering questions and he also leads the mentoring program where he matches up newbies with established teams to help them learn. He does this to promote BBQ and share the love. This should be encouraged not dissed just because it's not all done here on the brethren. Geez!

Matt, thanks for the link. (this is Jason from Bang A Drum BTW :p)

to be clear, I don't make a penny for what I do. I actually lose a hell of a lot of money doing what I am doing, without having to rub others the wrong way with self promotion . So to compare me with that is not a very good comparison.And for the record. All of my books are open for the public, as we are a 501c(3). Of course if anyone wants to compare what I do with anyone, I will gladly go head-to-head...

I do not know what I was thinking by trying to address your question. I speak from folks that I have heard from. That is from Cali, AZ to the midwest. So don't beat the messenger, they have made their bed.

As a rookie I appreciate any opportunity to learn from whomever I can, where ever I can. I am soaking up everything so I have as much knowledge as possible when it comes time to compete.

The veterans probably don't see much value in this "program", but to me as a rookie is is very valuable.

Of course, I have also been reading everything I can here, and on various other BBQ sites and I appreciate them all.

And if the most dominant team in the region I will be competing in wants to help me and share knowledge with me, then I am definitely all ears!

I followed the link in this posting, read the responses and the only thing that comes to mind is the quote "endeavor to persevere." There is a lot of verbage but no substance.

I followed the link in this posting, read the responses and the only thing that comes to mind is the quote "endeavor to persevere." There is a lot of verbage but no substance.

That's my favorite quote from "The Outlaw Josey Wales". :thumb:

And if the most dominant team in the region I will be competing in wants to help me and share knowledge with me, then I am definitely all ears!

My very first cook off, in 2009, I was sandwiched between Harry and "Viva New Mexico!" Jim and Adrian of Sweet Peppers. I can't speak highly enough about the guidance I received from both teams.

That being said ( and I have not read the guidance or link), Based on performance the years that Slap yo has been competing, unless I'm mistaken, the most dominant team in that region has been RnQ.

Ok, add and s to 'team' in my statement. RnQ is also participating in this program.

Must be an inside joke I don't get.

I'm just a rookie trying to scrape together enough knowledge to not embarrass myself this coming season.

I didn't think it was a joke, good or bad. It was an observation. Does he not put on a monthly class out there?

Harry teaches a monthly BBQ 101 class. It's not a judges class.

And I want to apologize to all the people I have rubbed the wrong way in the past with my shameless self-promotion. I promise to refrain from helping people here and answering questions because my posts actually help my Google rankings and forward people to my website.

I will keep my evil information to myself from now on and I suggest you all do the same.

Back