the royal first timer

Pigs on The Run

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I need help . First time at the royal. Dont want to look like a rookie. Any help. Please keep the yuk yuks to a min. Also is there any way I can fly a Brethren Banner to show my association.
John

why

why was this switch from competition to q talk. I was talking about the kc royal a bbq contest. Not mad just confused .
John

Pigs on The Run said:
why was this switch from competition to q talk. I was talking about the kc royal a bbq contest. Not mad just confused .
John

To get more feedbAck I suspect ?

Pigs on The Run said:
I need help . First time at the royal. Dont want to look like a rookie. Any help. Please keep the yuk yuks to a min. Also is there any way I can fly a Brethren Banner to show my association.
John

Take an extra day and go eat the bbq at the local KC restaurants. Maybe even use one of the local sauces for the contest. I'm thinking NC type flavors (vinegar) won't fare so well. Brisket, be sure to include burnt ends with the slice flat and consider slices for pork instead of (or in addition to) pulled.

I went out for the Invitational a few years ago and did well in two categories and got killed in two. Cooking in a different area of the country without any experience of the local judges tastes can be very difficult.

Maybe I'll see you there

Chris

Last edited:
Pigs on The Run said:
John

I would go and cook just like you do at any other contest that you go to. The first time I ever cooked the Royal was last year.

Greatgrills said:
I would go and cook just like you do at any other contest that you go to. The first time I ever cooked the Royal was last year.

I would agree that you definitely want to cook as you usually do, although maybe with a bit more focus at the "big" ones. For instance I try to avoid the 100% agave stuff at events I really want to win.

I think you gotta tweak the flavors though based on what you know about the judges. Example, If I'm cooking an event where I know there is a low % of certified judges I'm saucing up my ribs. If I have an experienced certified crowd, no sauce on the brisket slices. In NC I'd add a bit of vinegar to my entries etc.

Chris

Pigs on The Run said:
John

brdbbq said:
To get more feedbAck I suspect ?

He's only farking with ya.
There is a bunch of info in there that gets mixed in.

Just do your thing and have a good time.
Listen to what the guys say and GO FOR IT brother.

Cook better than the other 300-400 teams and you win. If you dont you loose that the best advice I can give.

ique said:
Take an extra day and go eat the bbq at the local KC restaurants. Maybe even use one of the local sauces for the contest.

I'm thinking KC Masterpiece would do well!

Greatgrills said:

And Mark and Becky should know.....Welcome to the board!

Attachments

• grand.jpg
    grand.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 88
Get your hands on plenty of money and take a lot of Whiskey. It's a good place to get drunk and meet new people (that are also drunk) and having fun. Don't get TOO serious about it and you will continue the fun.
I am living proof that ANYONE can go to a comp and win 1st place trophies the first time out. Go Figure!!!! It's SO subjective it doesn't matter how you cook. Cook the way you do at home. Win? It's nice, but who cares. have some fun.
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!

Oh GAWD! Not THOSE threads again! Ground Hog Day mod...

Have fun, John. But don't request a site on the dark side if you don't want noise all night!

Jeff_in_KC said:
Oh GAWD! Not THOSE threads again! Ground Hog Day mod...

Have fun, John. But don't request a site on the dark side if you don't want noise all night!

Jeff

This thread almost reminds me of you last year! You could have him look up your question and answers and really help this brother out.

have fun

kickassbbq said:
Get your hands on plenty of money and take a lot of Whiskey. It's a good place to get drunk and meet new people (that are also drunk) and having fun. Don't get TOO serious about it and you will continue the fun.
I am living proof that ANYONE can go to a comp and win 1st place trophies the first time out. Go Figure!!!! It's SO subjective it doesn't matter how you cook. Cook the way you do at home. Win? It's nice, but who cares. have some fun.
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!

Need another member on the team? im certified in drinking all sorts of alcoholic beverages. and have been known to cook a little que from time to time. :biggrin:

The FatDaddy Man,
Yes, you can be on a Team ifn' you can really drink like you say. Anybody can BBQ. It takes a real Man to go out there, set up, Q all night, get turn ins ready, go to the presentations, tear down and get home all being accomplished while drunk. That's what comps are all about.
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If I ever do another, I'll invite you to get the beers cold!!!!!!!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!
ed

Best of luck to you at the Royal, John!

Back