Additional fees for basic electricity?

Theresa B

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Looking at competing in a KCBS comp in late September. Entry fees are the usual $250 but to get ANY electricity it will cost an additional $30 for 20 amps. We've only cooked three comps and have not run into this before. Organizer stated "because I have to rent a generator". Don't most comps rent generators and factor in the cost in the entry fees?

I just wrote checks today for two comps that charged $20 and $30 for 20 amp power. I feel I got off easy seeing how we paid $100 for 20 amp service at a comp last month.

Are you doing Smokin at the Track?

Looking at competing in a KCBS comp in late September. Entry fees are the usual $250 but to get ANY electricity it will cost an additional $30 for 20 amps. We've only cooked three comps and have not run into this before. Organizer stated "because I have to rent a generator". Don't most comps rent generators and factor in the cost in the entry fees?
I think you're going to see this more and more as organizer try and find ways to subsidize the cost of bigger and bigger power grids to accommodate RV's and cook trailers.

Every contest I have done around here charges extra for power. I ended up buying a cheaper inverter generator to make sure I dont have to pay extra and I have reliable power.

Teamfour- yes, Smoking on the Track. This makes purchasing a generator much more interesting. I just don't know how we would fit it in. Harumph...guess I'll bite the bullet.

The only events in GA where they charged for basic power were MBN events. I think maybe I've seen it once in KCBS so pretty rare. Of course we have a camper now and pat for 30amp :icon_blush:

Teamfour- yes, Smoking on the Track. This makes purchasing a generator much more interesting. I just don't know how we would fit it in. Harumph...guess I'll bite the bullet.
I thought last year they let us use track power.

Mike- I called him today to confirm the water and electricity situation as for me it wasn't clear on the application.

I thought last year they let us use track power.

Yes, they did, I think :oops:. This was our first comp and we had no power problems at all, and I could swear, power (15 amp) was included.

If we continue on the comp race (and I sure anticipate we will), we will most likely purchase the Honda Combo generator. At the rate it is going, it will pay for itself very soon as it seems like a lot of people (organizers) are charging extra for basic electricity. Not to mention, knowing we will have constant, stable power.

wallace

The Champion 2000 watt inverter/ generator is between $500-and $600. Honda is nicer and a fraction quieter but I can buy a parallel kit and get a second Champion with 4000 max watts for the price of a 2000w Honda. To me it was much easier to buy the generator I did from Amazon for $502 shipped than to pay for power at our comps.

The Champion 2000 watt inverter/ generator is between $500-and $600. Honda is nicer and a fraction quieter but I can buy a parallel kit and get a second Champion with 4000 max watts for the price of a 2000w Honda. To me it was much easier to buy the generator I did from Amazon for $502 shipped than to pay for power at our comps.

Don't want to derail this thread but, you got my interest. Would you have a link? I am really looking for quiet but efficient unit.

Thanks

wallace

That's relatively uncommon here in the St. Louis area, but there are a handful of contests that do charge extra for power. And yes it irritates me too. I can see if they want to charge extra to RVs and trailers who are the reason they need they huge generators, but if all I need is one 15amp plug, I don't think it's right.

In this area we see a mix. Some competitions include electricity in the fee, others charge for it. It seems to equal out, however.

Electricity out here is included in the fee. Feel free in the summertime to charge $20-$50 more for good, clean energy for folks to run their AC units.

Don't want to derail this thread but, you got my interest. Would you have a link? I am really looking for quiet but efficient unit.

Thanks

wallace

Thought I had quoted so you knew it was directed at your posting earlier. If I do the link right here it is [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Equipment-73536i-Generator-Compliant/dp/B0041K09D8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid="]Amazon.com : Champion Power Equipment 73536i 2, 000 Watt 4-Stroke Gas Powered Portable Inverter Generator (CARB Compliant) : Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

If I didnt do it right just go to Amazon and look up Champion inverter generators.

What there was of it. We ended up firing the generator on Sunday.

$150.00 and you guys ended up using your own?? Something ain't right.

Having your own power (just in case) is sounding like a good idea all around. Heck, we could use it here at the house at least to run the refrig.

Thanks!

wallace

Folks do weird things at events. Stuff you would never think to do, and sometimes power gets cut off or drained etc...

Back