• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Backwoods Smoker Fatboy.....???

I don't have one, but I've seen them in use many times and they produce a solid final product if you like the cabinet style units and charcoal.

A number of members here own them, they just may not have seen this thread yet. I'm sure they'll chim in.

PM Muzzlebrake for details, I know he owns one and likes it.

T-Man,

I just picked up a BWS Party. I have used it only a few times so still getting a feel for how it wants to cook. So far it has been great. The Fat Boy will give you more depth space on the racks. Solid construction yet easy to move around, and the temps are spot on (using a Guru). The BWS line is a rib cookers dream. Did a few birds on it Sunday and they were even more moist than the BGE produced.

Shame the Party can't hold more fuel and water casue if it did i could forget it till the product was done. Very happy with it so far and I only expect that to improve as I lean more about it.

Any Backwoods is a great cooker. I think Smokin Joe from Tippie Canoe uses the Fatboy.

Dan

I have a had a Fatboy, Party, and a Chubby, all excellent cookers. I don't think you can go wrong with any BWS cooker.

Cigar- try making a charcoal basket that sits inside the Party charcoal pan, run it up to a few inches under your water pan or heat diverter. Depending on your fuel and cooking temps, you can nearly get a contest long burn time.

ML

What be the cooking time on one load of charcoal , without a Guru...???
Also how about using a stoker with the Fatboy....??

T-Man, a lot depends on how long you can cook on one load. Typically I can get 4-6 hours on one load of charcoal in my Party. I cook at about the 250 degree range. I do not use a Guru, I feel you do not need a guru/stoker with the backwoods...

I have a had a Fatboy, Party, and a Chubby, all excellent cookers. I don't think you can go wrong with any BWS cooker.

Cigar- try making a charcoal basket that sits inside the Party charcoal pan, run it up to a few inches under your water pan or heat diverter. Depending on your fuel and cooking temps, you can nearly get a contest long burn time.

ML

Good advice here. I extended the sides of my BWS Party charcoal pan with expanded metal and can easily go 8 hours without reloading.
I love my Party!

Another extremely happy BWS Party owner here. I have not got around to extending the charcoal pan to hold more fuel, hasnt been an issue to spend the time on it. I have had 8+ hours before with briquettes, and with the heat diverter the water lasts about as long. We started competing this year and have been using only lump. The way our schedule is at comps I dont over pack it, and get about 4 hours between loads, but thats the way I like it.

I tried the stoker years ago when I first got the party, and frankly I didnt care for it. The product worked as described, but the Party didnt need it and it was more a bother than anything. Im a tech geek, but once the novelty wore off, it was just a chore to setup and take down. I can dial my Party into my 240 - 250 zone with both eyes closed and half asleep.

If we ever upgrade to a bigger smoker, it will be another BWS. The fatboy your looking at has the same cooking space as the party, just configured differently. I chose the Party over the fatboy because of the weight, and now that we started competing im glad i did. Get whatever configuration suits you better.

50+ lbs of brisket, could of done 2 more.
DSC_0478.jpg

DSC_0483.jpg

Gawd... how do all of you guys get away with having all these different grills/smokers? Am I missing something here? Some trick I should be using?

My wife was p'd off when she saw my Kiwi knives... can't imagine what another smoker would do.

Gawd... how do all of you guys get away with having all these different grills/smokers? Am I missing something here? Some trick I should be using?

My wife was p'd off when she saw my Kiwi knives... can't imagine what another smoker would do.

My secret is cook delicious food that her and her family cant get enough of!

Can't cook on a set of knives. :)

While we've never owned a Fatboy, we have had a Gator which is very similar to a Fatboy (Gator is about 2-3 deeper and 2-3 narrower) We've had a Competitor for 3 years and a Party before that. Obviously happy with them, or we wouldn't have purchased multiple. :-D

T-Man, anything specific you want to know ... feel free to ask and I or someone will answer as best we can.

Last edited:
I agree with everyone before me, I have a Party (actually Kc Bobby's old one) and love it it has an extended charcoal basket and I have no problem getting 8 hour burns on one load of charcoal. I have never used a guru or stoker on it as I see no need it pretty much sets itself at 240-250 and just runs there.

I have a party and a fatboy and love them both. I like the layout of the fatboy better, seems I can get more meat in it and it hold more fuel and water. They turn out excellent results...fire away with questions!

A Fatboy is a shortened competitor, has 5 racks instead of 8. You can cook 4 whole shoulders fairly comfortably, verses cooking 8 in a competitor. That being said the fatboy is a very consistent solid cooker, with better heat consistency top to bottom than a competitor. We use a fatboy for preliminary ribs (Memphis BBQ Network contests) and a competitor for shoulders. Other than the Comp Hog, the Fatboy is my favorite cooker-consistent, great control (we don't use a guru on it-we do on the other 3 backwoods we have), ability to impart as much or little smoke as needed, quick temp control by using amount of fuel and air intakes. Great cooker.

I have a chubby and a party and am loving them both...Im a new dealer (dont worry Im legal here!) and think they cook really nicely

Back