for the Sausage makers - a home made incubator box

GARNAAL

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have been making cured/airdried sausages and salami for a couple of years now and always was fiddling around with some homebrewn setup in the oven to hold the temp at ~ 90F for 15 hours or so to get the fermentation of the added Starter Cultures going..

something like this:
HPIM4633r.JPG

well I finally got of my case and constructed a incubator box like this:

HPIM5189r.JPG

all you need is a 4x8 sheet of Aluminum clad OSB (7/16 inch),
some framing wood (1 1/2 x 3/4 inch,
a line voltage switching thermostat and a wall box to mount it on,
a light socket with a heavy duty 70W lightbulb,
box of drywall screws,
some electric cord and hardware (hinges and lock)
couple of 1/2 inch dowels cut to the size to fit in your dryer.

here you get the idea..

I measured the inside of my dryer to cut the dowels to the size
so they slide in the rails of the dryer ( a peltier type cooling, college fridge)

HPIM5212r.JPG

and sized the incubator box accordingly so I could hang the dowels in there.. assembled the box with the Aluminum clad facing the inside!!

HPIM5190r.JPG

HPIM5192r.JPG

mounted the thermostat and wired it to the 70W light bulb on the bottom..

HPI_003.JPG

HPIM5197r.JPG

HPIM5196r.JPG

I cut a removable piece (for easy cleaning) and drilled holes in it on one side (away from the light) - to allow heat distribution and placed it above the lightbulb..

HPIM5194r.JPG

here you see a load ready to go...

HPIM5205r.JPG

set the temp - close the door - and the light will switch on and off to keep the desired temp in the box in the box

HPIM5206r.JPG

Love that! I have yet to try fermented sausages.

Thanks for putting that up - way cool! :clap2:

Thanks for the instruction. That looks great. How does the air flow or does that matter? At the fermentation step are you only looking for warmth?

Thanks for the instruction. That looks great. How does the air flow or does that matter? At the fermentation step are you only looking for warmth?

Airflow does not matter during this step - (and hot air rises- that's why I put the light on the bottom..:mod:) it's the constant temp ~ 90F that gets the Starter culture going during these 15 or so hours.....
after that I move the sausage in the drying chamber with a lower temp ~ 55 F anyway..

Airflow is more important during the drying cycle but I get that in my peltier cooler from the built in Fan.

I noticed that now the Sausage is hanging -and not stacked up on top of each other like before in the oven- that the coloring is a lot better after the time in the incubator - I think the more even warming up of all sides of the sausages has something to do with that.

I have been making cured/airdried sausages and salami for a couple of years now and always was fiddling around with some homebrewn setup in the oven to hold the temp at ~ 90F for 15 hours or so to get the fermentation of the added Starter Cultures going..

Thanks for sharing your ideas and design......

Back