MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
wormdrink67
On the road to being a farker

Default Competition Ribs

Continuously getting my @ss handed to me in ribs at kcbs comps. Anyone willing to offer advice on what they're using that's doing well I'd greatly appreciate it. 3 comps and haven't scored over 155, don't have the slightest clue as to what I'm doing wrong. Appearance scores are good, taste is what's hurting me and as with any kcbs comp, when your taste is suffering, the tenderness scores are down also. I'm using a variation of the 3-1-1 method at 230 degrees on a backwoods party. Tried a couple different rubs, couple different sauces, can't hit the magic numbers with any of them. Again, I'd really appreciate any help you guys can offer. Thanks.
WSM 22.5 CBJ #60558 PACK-A-SMOKES BBQ TEAM
wormdrink67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

slabs.com amazing glaze
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

the amazing glaze is amazing

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Forget all the methods, 3-2-1, 2-2-1 etc., just forget them all. Simply use a good commercial rub and sauce and cook them until the bone pulls back 1/4" and the rack bends at a 60 degree angle.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #5
Frank Sacco
is One Chatty Farker

Make one change at a time. Don't change every aspect of your ribs each time you don't score well. Have a base line rub and sauce that you use. Tweak as you see fit to your pallet. Then let the judges make their decision. Gotta start some where!
Sponsors: Oakridge BBQ, Frontier Charcoal
NEBS MAFIA
Blazin' Buttz BBQ www.blazinbuttzbbq.com

Last edited by Frank Sacco; 05-23-2011 at 04:23 PM..
Frank Sacco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

assuming you're doing st louis, you are probably undercooking them. 250 for 6 hours with 2 hours in foil.

Taste - do they taste like spicy candy on a stick? If not you can add rub and heat and add lots of brown sugar, honey and butter when wrapping. It may take you 3 or 4 cooks to get it down but then you'll see higher scores. Of course the ribs taste like S*&T when you eat more than a couple of bites.

Last edited by Ford; 05-23-2011 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: spelling
Ford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2011, 04:21 PM   #7
wormdrink67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
assuming you're doing st louis, you are probably undercooking them. 250 for 6 hours with 2 hours in foil.

Taste - do they taste like spicy candy on a stick? If not you can add rub and heat and add lots of brown sugar, honey and butter when wrapping. It may take you 3 or 4 cooks to get it down but then you'll see higher scores. Of course the ribs taste like S*&T when you eat more than a couple of bites.
I'm cooking back ribs that are trimmed down to around 2.0lbs....I can assure you they aren't under done, possibly over done, but not under and I assumed that they tasted exactly as you said "candy on stick"....the judges just don't seem to be tasting the same thing I am. Guess its time to change to st. louis, that what everyone seems to be cooking.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:35 PM   #8
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

back ribs - start at 2-1-1 at 250 and tweak from there. Sounds like it's the rub or rub/sauce combo. Try a commercail rub and sauce from the same company - smoking guns, slabs, rib rangers, etc. of course add honey to the sauce.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #9
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Take a judging class.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2011, 04:51 PM   #10
wormdrink67

Cook- I'm cbj #60558, it's also on my signature. The judging class taught me about as much about how I should be cooking bbq as my first grade teacher....

Old 05-23-2011, 05:20 PM   #11
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormdrink67 View Post
Cook- I'm cbj #60558, it's also on my signature. The judging class taught me about as much about how I should be cooking bbq as my first grade teacher....
hahahahahha
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]

Old 05-23-2011, 05:23 PM   #12
quarters69
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : quarters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
Take a judging class.
Taking a judging class will not help you with your scores. I took a class and taste was never even brought up in the class, every pallet is different.
quarters69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2011, 05:36 PM   #13
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Sacco View Post
Make one change at a time. Don't change every aspect of your ribs each time you don't score well. Have a base line rub and sauce that you use. Tweak as you see fit to your pallet. Then let the judges make their decision. Gotta start some where!
one rib win and suddenly your an expert, pffffft

Old 05-23-2011, 05:44 PM   #14
Fishiest1
Full Fledged Farker

Any chance it might be too much wood or the type? Everything else you mentioned seems to put you pretty close to the spot.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:54 PM   #15
wormdrink67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishiest1 View Post
Any chance it might be too much wood or the type? Everything else you mentioned seems to put you pretty close to the spot.
I hadn't really thought about it, but I guess you could be right. I'm using mesquite, so maybe I'll change the wood and see how that goes. Thanks.