Pellet cooker

BBQfirefighter148

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Thinking of switching from vertical offset to pellet cooker. What are some of the pros and cons of using pellets.
Thanks

most hardcore offset guys who come in our store do not care for the pellet grills. they found them boring and uneventful.

t

Do you want to be able to turn out great food, with a touch of a button, that at best has a whisper of smoke to it. I do. So I have one and love it.

I've had a Mak 1 star for 3 years ....
Plenty of smoke flavor - I love it !

It all depends if you just want to throw your meat on and come back later and take it off or sit around and tend to the fire if I just want to throw meat on and come back when it's done I would use my oven

Just left my Walmart. Both sale prices-CampChef Pellet grill 249 and a vertical offset 239. $500 your in the game AC/DC.

"Not that there's anything wrong with that"
Seinfeld

FYI- I'm loosely watching the Pellet. It drops to $199 I'm buying it for my Bride.

Good deal on camp chef pellet grill around here at Walmart the camp chef smoke pro series is 344 dollars everyday

Pros: easy to maintain temp, set and forget.

Cons: not as much smoke flavor, relies on electricity so have adjust to smoke in rain or snow, electrical and mechanical parts can and do go bad.

That part is not accurate depending on the smoker.

My FEC-100 insulated pellet pooper will maintain temps rain or shine - 100 degrees or 32 degrees with no additional interaction from me.

Obviously, YMMV if it isn't insulated, but that could be said of any cooker using any fuel source.

My FEC-100 insulated pellet pooper will maintain temps rain or shine - 100 degrees or 32 degrees with no additional interaction from me.

Obviously, YMMV if it isn't insulated, but that could be said of any cooker using any fuel source.

As will my PG-1000 plus a temp range fro 180 deg. to over 700 deg.

I've had great food of pellet poopers. They really do a good job, but they're not for me. I don't believe outdoor grill should require cord and I more complicated more likely to break...... They are tempting though. I looked at Yoder ys480 the small one and was impressed

But I'll stick to charcoal. My next purchase will be a drum

My comment was more related to running an electric device in the rain. If you have it covered you may be ok but mine was uncovered. When it rained I didn't smoke.

I have a pellet pooper and I like the ease of cooking, especially since my wife doesnt do charcoal. It does make great food, and puts some decent flavor on food. I wouldn't replace the offset with it. I like wood flavor, and for the ease of setting up and using my UDS, I will replace my pellet cooker with a gasser. I have had pretty good luck setting a UDS and walking away for a few hours at a time, with better flavor than a pellet cooker.

I own and enjoy using a pellet cooker. The smoke flavor can vary immensely depending on the pellets used. It is quite easy to use and turns out great food. My friends and I never really sit around the pellet cooker: we crack a seal on a bottle or two and solve life's problems, or at least the mistakes made in a recent NFL game, while tending the offset.
It is easier to get any level of smoke flavor using the offset(unless cooking with charcoal as a fuel source), but it is certainly doable on the pellet cooker, one simply must learn how the smoke is generated.
One cooker is a great way to get excellent food with very little thought; the other style is more of an event. We have both and use both. I would council anyone who already has an offset to keep it, if at all possible....but add a pellet cooker to the options list.
We simply disagree with those who claim the pellet cookers are no different than using an oven, based upon our experiences with both pellet cookers and electric ovens.

Perhaps a bit of therapy could help you get past this.

I'm already scarred for life. I'm afraid no amount of therapy can undo what has been done. But I appreciate the suggestion none the less!

Back