"OverSmoked"?

SmittyJonz

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
How can 4 Chunks of wood in a WSM or UDS "OverSmoke" meat but 16 splits in a stickburner not? :confused: I see it on here all the time...."only use 3-4 chunks as not to "OverSmoke" your meat."

I run 20-25 Chunks in my UDS charcoal basket and never experienced "oversmoked"...... :heh:

As long as the fire burns clean, I've never tasted what over smoked is supposed to be.

I agree with dirty fire being the likely culprit. That or perhaps bad / green wood?

in my Stump's I had to use two small chunks and no more or it was a over bearing smoke flavor . also the charcoal embers fall and smolder on the wood and that why I cut back on wood to get the right smoke flavor but still loved my Stump's smoker and miss it .

And then many Gravity Feed guys will say not enough smoke flavor so people say solution is to Mix Chunks thruout the charcoal chute - so bunch o chunks. :loco:

Throw a bunch of green wood on a low burning fire and you can get that bitter "over smoked" flavor. This falls into the dirty fire situation mentioned above, if someone could mistake your smoker for a burning leaf pile.....you might be an over smoker lol

Just dirty as stated above. You shouldn't get any "over smoke" if your fire is burning clean. No matter how much wood you use.

I have used all wood in a WSM 22.5 before without getting that flavor. Just opened the door for a few minutes everytime I added fuel until it caught on fire.

Oversmoking occurs from using too much fuel at once in my opinion and can be prevented by simple methods such as using a snake in the WSM or adding less fuel more often.

"oversmoked" depends on whom you are talking to. For some, yeah, it's dirty smoke. For others, it's too heavy of a flavor.

"oversmoked" depends on whom you are talking to. For some, yeah, it's dirty smoke. For others, it's too heavy of a flavor.

I don't experience either and I'm saying they are the same thing.........if you run clean you don't have too heavy of a flavor otherwise all stickburner cooks would be "oversmoked"........

Last edited:
I'm thinking I might try to over smoke something in the Wood Burning Bandera this Weekend............. 16 splits = 293 wood chunks.

Back