MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
AlabamaGrillBillies
is one Smokin' Farker

Default ?? for those that cook with Green Wood

I've always ran nothing but seasoned woods in my large offset smoker.

I've recently came into a large amount freshly cut Cherry wood. I know some folks cook with fresh cut fruit woods. I'd love to hear from those that use green wood in their cooking to see how they do it and what their results have been. While I let the majority of this cherry wood season i'm going to try and experiment with a little green wood cooking, thanks for any tips and tricks you can throw my way.

Matt Pair, member of the AlabamaGrillBillies Cookteam and Catering company. 24x54 Offset stick burner, 18" WSM, UDS, Mutiple Weber Kettles and a 22" WSM on the way.
AlabamaGrillBillies is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
OutlawSwine
is one Smokin' Farker

I've only used green wood (other than fruit) a few times and was not very pleased. More smoke and filled my cooker with soot. The meat tasted fine, not much difference than seasoned wood maybe a touch bit of bitter. It was just the smell and the soot. I may try it again but it will only be after my seasoned supply runs out.

I do however use green fruit woods (peach and apple) regular and have had good luck. I actually prefer the flavor over the seasoned fruits. A lot of people say that they can't tell the difference so maybe it's just me knowing that it's green.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:27 AM   #3
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Step away from the green cherry. Worst tasting food I ever made started that way.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 06:25 AM   #4
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

I tried adding green wood one time. The food and cooker had soot deposits leaving the meat with a bitter taste.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #5
Drh7003
Full Fledged Farker

I use green apple wood from time to time, but I prefer it seasoned. What I do is get charcoal nice and hot and then put the wood on top and let it get going for a while, that way the soot is gone before putting on the meat.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #6
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

Cherry would be the last wood I would use green-it has a really bitter, unpleasant nasty smell from the hydrocyanic acid in the bark. I like cherry to be well-seasoned.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #7
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

I have never used green fruit wood.
Green hickory is what I use (when I can find it), but it does take a toll on the smoker.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
Cayman1
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPorkaLot View Post
Green hickory is what I use (when I can find it), but it does take a toll on the smoker.
If you don't mind me asking, why do you use green and not seasoned? Have heard of people doing this, but not sure of the reason.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #9
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

Myron Mixon uses green Peach wood everytime he cooks... i have used green apple with great results in an offset... the key is warming it up before you throw it in the firebox.. warming it up helps get some of the moisture out.. and helps it combust faster..

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote