UDS Elevated Air Intake Question

R

Riverside BBQ

I'm wanting to build a UDS.
I'm seeing several with elevated air intakes.

Elevating the intake is it more effective?

I'm sure there is info in here somewhere on it. I've searched and read many threads on UDS builds. Many, many pages of quality info. But haven't come across any (yet) that talks about if the elevated air intakes are more effective than the standard (2" off the base) with shut off valve.

Thank you advance!

If I recall, it was tried but it acted more like a exhaust than an intake. It's been a while since I looked at building another UDS and I'm old so I don't remember as well as I used to....

I did the extended intake because I have a farked-up back. I saw this mod in the UDS thread & it immeadiatly caught my eye :thumb:. The main trick seems to be that you keep the intake lower than the top of the drum, that way you're not letting it act as an extra exhaust pipe.

The only reason I've seen for the elevated inlet is for ease to operate for those with bad backs. I have seen it called the old man inlet.

I've built 3 drums so far, all with elevated intake w/ a ball valve on the top. They work great for controlling temp and I have yet to spill a single drop of beer while adjusting them!

Thank you, that's kinds what I thought. But wanted to check with the Masters!

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. And God said, "Let there be a drum," and there was a drum. God saw that the drum was good....

I built mine day one with the vertical air intake, using Sheet Magnets to control air flow....I wore those out and now use Ceramic Magnets.
I know there have been some that tried it but had less than stellar results.
I haven't had one bit of trouble controlling temps.
I think the people that do have trouble used 3/4"od pipe, which is too small a diameter to attain good control of air flow.
I went with 1" pipe, it actually measures 1.25"od, it's the inside diameter
that measures 1", whereas the 3/4" pipe has an id of 1/2".

DrumPit5.jpg

No more or less effective. But us old guys don't have to bend over to make adjustments :)

They work but in my opinion not as well as a short draw. Best to go bigger dia. as N8 did.

I didn't use a riser because I need all the exercise I can get! :biggrin1:

Yep - that's me --- old, fat, beer belly, lazy, etc :becky:.

But the "old man mod" works for me. BTW, the intake on my drum was a new piece of 2" exhaust pipe. Plenty of air flow right there.

I haven't had one bit of trouble controlling temps.
I think the people that do have trouble used 3/4"od pipe, which is too small a diameter to attain good control of air flow.
I went with 1" pipe, it actually measures 1.25"od, it's the inside diameter
that measures 1", whereas the 3/4" pipe has an id of 1/2".

Just to clarify and this confused me when I first read it but 3/4" pipe does have an ID of 3/4". You started by mentioning 3/4"OD pipe which would actually be sold as 1/2" pipe wouldn't it? I know my 3/4" nipples have an ID of 3/4" at least. Your reasoning is sound though in using the 1" pipe for more airflow.

Just to clarify and this confused me when I first read it but 3/4" pipe does have an ID of 3/4". You started by mentioning 3/4"OD pipe which would actually be sold as 1/2" pipe wouldn't it? I know my 3/4" nipples have an ID of 3/4" at least. Your reasoning is sound though in using the 1" pipe for more airflow.

I stand corrected.....Thanks for pointing that out....

Back