UDS users and future builders check this out...

colonel00

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I was at Lowe's tonight and they had these grills marked down to under $10. Regular price on the tag was like $18.99 although the website has them at $15. They are cheap little portable grills but can be great for people building a UDS.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_297995-4260..._prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1#

First of all, the lid has bolt on hinges that can easily attach to a Weber lid on a UDS or probably onto a flat lid. I put them on my existing UDS with Weber lid tonight with minimal effort. They are kind of cheaply made and thinner metal but should last as long as you are not careless with them.

Second, the bottom of the grill can easily be made into the lower part of a charcoal basket with the bottom being the ash pan. Just attach some expanded metal around the sides and you are set. In theory, you could even skip the expanded metal unless you were looking for a huge charcoal basket. The legs that come with it are a bit long though but you could bend them appropriately or use a couple of bolts instead to take care of that. The grates are a bit thing as well but should hold up for a bit.

Third, the front handle is bolted on and can easily be added to the front of your newly hinged lid. :clap2:

One final thing that might be useful is the top exhaust vent pinwheel is bolted on as well. Perhaps there are those that would want to add another vent to their Weber lid or 2" exhause pipe. Who knows, someone might come up with another nifty use. Perhaps an intake vent? :shocked:

Anyway, I just wanted to pass this along because for $9-$15 you can knock out some of the required parts for a UDS as well as pimp it up a bit with some handy hinges. I would imagine some creative people will find ways to use the rest of the parts as well.

I will try to get some pics up of the hinges I installed ASAP as and I might get a chance to throw together a charcoal basket here soon too.

Edit: I grabbed a quick pic with my camera so I apologize for the quality. Also, please ignore the mess in the middle which was a piss poor attempt to weld on a cabinet hinge:tsk: (it did work...sort of:rolleyes:)

Attachments

• small grill.jpg
    small grill.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 838
  • UDS hinge.jpg
    UDS hinge.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 842
Here is a charcoal basket I threw together using the base of the mini grill and the included rack along with a $6 wire shelf (with paint burned off of course). It could probably use some holes drilled in it to increase airflow.

DSCN0809.jpg

Here is the handle from the mini grill mounted on the front of my weber lid that I attached the hinges on.

DSCN0813.jpg

lowes will have some great deals pretty regularly. I bought one of their 22.5" knockoff grills for $30. I got the upper cooking rack, charcoal basket rack, dome lid, hinge hardware, and handles for my UDS. still have some wheels and other stuff I might use later when I get around to it

Yep, I have one too you can see on the KU drum. Lid wasn't the best fit and I couldn't get the upper rack to work just right though. I will save the rack for a future build though.

I just scored one of these today for $9.99. I will use most of the parts to finish up my first UDS this weekend. The hinges alone will be worth the 10 bucks. Thanks again for the heads up!

The hinges alone will be worth the 10 bucks.

I agree. I looked all over for a suitable option to hinge my Weber lid. As evidenced in the photo, I did have a cabinet hinge that I had fashioned to work but it didn't work well and did not have a "stop" to keep the lid from flipping all the way open.

Back