Pizza garnish!

BoneDaddy's

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Looking for some advice on how one might open-garnish pizza for a comp. Our egg makes great pizza, just not sure how to stuff-it into a box!

Smaller pizza?

I meant that to read more like...."I need help, what do I garnish a pizza box with" not what I wrote...it has been a bad mornig....

Out here in PNWBA land, for Pizza turn ins a box is provided by the Head Judge. Not sure if anyone garnishes the box-we never have.

We've done simple and elegant Margherita pizzas, but it seems the winners go to the pies with piles of toppings.

we've only done pizza twice and never garnished. Took 2nd place on the first time and I think in the top 5 on the 2nd one.

In our part of the world, "open garnish" means one is not limited to a styrofoam clamshell. In that case, one generally presents on a tray large enough to display the product well, but within the size specified by the organizer. For example, some contests will specify a size limit of 18" in all dimensions, but others will just say "entry must be able to be carried by one person" (yes, we've been at a contest where an entry had to be carried in by two people, hence the practical application of that rule).

So, have you confirmed with the organizer whether this will be a truly open-garnish category, or whether you must use a supplied box?

We were just talking about that last night. They said they are giving us pizza boxes but I have no idea how to garnish them either. Sounds like its generally a no garnish situation.

use one of those plastic "tables" to keep the box top from sticking.

I'd say no greenery. Maybe a dipping sauce for the crust or a pepper like Papa Johns, if you have that kind of crust.

Well I filled an entire box with strawberries when we did a dessert pizza and some nice curly leaf lettuce with a savory one. Both looked really nice and scored well on appearance.

If this is for Lake Placid, I think it was no garnish and had to fit into a styro container?

why not do a Strombolli or some calzone and slice it right to show it off?

If this is for Lake Placid, I think it was no garnish and had to fit into a styro container?

I think thats correct Scottie. This question is for New Hampshire which is open garnish with a pizza box provided

Man, you guys like pizza out in NEBS land... :roll:

I do like the pizza box better than a 9X9...

Mind if I ask what type of pizza you made when you took 2nd?

It was back in '08 not sure of the exact ingredients, hopefully my teammate will chime in as it was his creation. I do have a picture though. We grilled up some chicken thighs, there's mozzarella cheese but I forget what we used for sauce. I don't remember if there was tomato sauce, I think we tossed the chicken in honey mustard or drizzled it over the top.
894994637_2bCFi-L.jpg

Back