MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:56 PM   #76
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchlady View Post
I posted this on another forum, but I may have had a moment of clarity so I thought I'd throw it on here too...

I kinda 'jumped in' but try to follow along...

...has everything to do with the members communicating to the KCBS RULES COMMITTEE, and the Rules Committee communicating to the BoD. If there were more people attending the Rules Mtg, more people would get their voices heard, and maybe then we would feel better represented.
We all know that the meeting is held in conjunction with the Annual Banquet. PLAN FOR IT, regardless of where it is held. And if you can't possibly get there, send an e-mail or letter to the committee members beforehand.

The Rules Committee, on the other hand, has the responsibility to LISTEN and RESPOND. That becomes their job when they are assigned to the committee.
This is one reason that I, and many others, feel as though more non-BoD members should be on these sub-committees. A more thorough representation of the membership.

It comes down to making our voices heard, and having our views supported and REPRESENTED by the people we elect.
If people don't vote and/or communicate, then the system will not work the way it is designed.
thanks ...
michelle
Problem #1 - Who are the members of the rules committee? We know who the chair is, but I may be sitting next to someone on the committee and never know it. KCBS needs to publish committee members and publish openings/needs for committees. This has been determined as an appropriate strategy from my unofficial committee on committees.

Problem #2 - The rules meeting is a inadequate vehicle for feedback. It holds way too small of a sampling. More or less... it is a complete waste of everyone's time.

Problem #3 - We make use of readily available technology way to little in the KCBS organization. Let's have moderated online discussions about rules proposals. More people have access to the Internet than will attend a meeting.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2010, 01:15 PM   #77
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
Problem #3 - We make use of readily available technology way to little in the KCBS organization. Let's have moderated online discussions about rules proposals. More people have access to the Internet than will attend a meeting.
Ain't that the truth. Around the comps I've been to, it seems more likely than not the site has internet access in some capacity - laptop and/or cell phone. I don't have the hard numbers of how many members have internet access at home, but we know only 4 election ballets were requested. Seems to me that the active KCBS member is online. Seems the board would easily get feedback to proposals if they would set up surveys - which members could opt-in to get. And members could opt in to receive notifications about different subjects - competitions, rules, judging, recipes, sponsorship offers, etc.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:18 PM   #78
crd26a
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
Problem #1 - Who are the members of the rules committee? We know who the chair is, but I may be sitting next to someone on the committee and never know it. KCBS needs to publish committee members and publish openings/needs for committees. This has been determined as an appropriate strategy from my unofficial committee on committees.

Problem #2 - The rules meeting is a inadequate vehicle for feedback. It holds way too small of a sampling. More or less... it is a complete waste of everyone's time.

Todd for KCBS BOD
Old 02-05-2010, 01:19 PM   #79
Jorge

OK, Toddy and Bobby KCBS 2011!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-05-2010, 01:24 PM   #80
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
Whatever, Jorgy.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:43 PM   #81
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Did someone say Jorgy? I feel dirty just typing that.

(BTW, I still think our KCBS team pages are going to show team results this year. At least they should. Based on the Bullsheet meeting reports, the pages are set up by the database and it would be easy to add.)
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:45 PM   #82
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
Whoever, But the

Kirk
Competition
Barbeque
Society

Has to go!

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-05-2010, 03:50 PM   #83
lunchlady
is one Smokin' Farker

I see some scrubbing in this threads future....
[URL="http://www.nebs.org"][I][FONT=Century Gothic]www.nebs.org[/FONT][/I][/URL]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]2 Backwoods Partys [/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]WSM, 2 Weber kettles, Weber Performer[/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]Large BGE[/FONT][/I]
lunchlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:32 PM   #84
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

You mean people can talk to each other, plan and discuss ideas on the web?
Who would da thunk?

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:43 PM   #85
lunchlady
is one Smokin' Farker

i just meant ... no bad karma... shutting up now. ya right
[URL="http://www.nebs.org"][I][FONT=Century Gothic]www.nebs.org[/FONT][/I][/URL]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]2 Backwoods Partys [/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]WSM, 2 Weber kettles, Weber Performer[/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]Large BGE[/FONT][/I]
lunchlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:47 PM   #86
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineMaster View Post
Whoever, But the

Kirk
Competition
Barbeque
Society

Has to go!
Do you know Paul Kirk? Why do you say he has to go? Maybe some people on this site need to be sending Paul emails asking him why he is doing things the way he does. But make no doubt about it the membership just re-elected him for another 3 year term so instead of basjhing him maybe you need to figure out how to make productive suggestions on what he can do better. If he got a thousand emails about "no report" then maybe we'd see more reports.

And there's an easy way around "no report" and I am going to send the current BOD members an email suggesting they consider implementing it. Instead of "no report" say "Will be reporting on the current status of our committee activities". then in the meeting "say we are continuing to investigate ... it's a long process to complete but we are making some progress".
Old 02-05-2010, 04:51 PM   #87
Jeff_in_KC

Ford, why in the heck would you provide the Board with another way to hide behind words and avoid doing the job it's supposed to do?
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #88
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
Ford, why in the heck would you provide the Board with another way to hide behind words and avoid doing the job it's supposed to do?
Why does everybody bash a no report? There's a lot of committees that should probavly only report annually. And some members raise an agenda topic rather than doing a report. I've seen that a number of times.

Some committees need to report monthly, especially finance but I don't see people bashing the treasurer like other BOD members. There's a lot of selective bashing going on.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:13 PM   #89
Candy Sue
is one Smokin' Farker

I have a thought <scary!> since it's likely that any substantive rules will have deferred implementation until January 2011, what about have reps at contests with questionnaires (multiple guess even) getting MEMBER cook team input. Contest evals are passed out now, it'd just be another piece of paper available at a contest. It could be on line for completion with a membership number. Must be a member to have your input matter. Might even get more cooks to join???

I have 15 minutes before I'll be off the computer...is this good or bad?

Last edited by Candy Sue; 02-05-2010 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: add to
Candy Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:22 PM   #90
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Maybe Candy But why not have a KCBS Members online forum where input is coming in daily?

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote