Prime Rib: Boneless v. Standing Rib?

txschutte

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
What are the differences, Besides the obvious?

Is flavor richer with bone-in? Cooking times, temps?

My butcher has both. I am buying on Friday to start proper aging for Xmas. I need to pull the trigger on a $180 chunk o' beef.

I have only done these twice. Mine had the bones removed (???) and tied back on by the butcher. Just my guess there is not much difference, a lot of the bone is presentation!

I have only done these twice. Mine had the bones removed (???) and tied back on by the butcher. Just my guess there is not much difference, a lot of the bone is presentation!

Yup, that's how I buy em too. Nothing like knawing on the bones once it comes off the cooker. Them is Chef's Treats. I assume Wyatt's cooking it, right. Hate to see you burn a $180 hunk o beef, Shane. :)

Bone in..yer payin' for the bone...that's about it...Some feel that
the bone keeps the roast moister, with more flavor...try it yerself!
:!:

Yup, that's how I buy em too. Nothing like knawing on the bones once it comes off the cooker. Them is Chef's Treats. I assume Wyatt's cooking it, right. Hate to see you burn a $180 hunk o beef, Shane. :)
Since I have only done boneless. that's where my question arises. The price difference is nil. Zip. Zero. Nada.

The butcher will tie the bones back on if wanted.. Just not sure if its wanted.

Presentation is not an issue, as plates will be served on a "doneness" scale.

Have the bones tied back on. Sheesh! Haven't you had enough ribs etc. to know that bones are da beast!

Better yet, cut the bones off AFTER you cook 'em.

I always go with a standing roast when I can. But usually remove the bones prior to presentation. This way I have bones to make stock. Also the bones do allow for smoke circulation under the meat, so I can put a pan under everything to catch that wonderful au jus.

I always buy it "bone in" and remove the slab of bones and grill the
bones "hot & fast" to give them to people as an appetizer; while the
roast is cooking.

You can either smoke/roast/or whatever the roast outside.
Or cook it inside in the oven ...in a pan with carrots, potatoes, onions,
celery, etc. underneath the roast, acting as support for the roast.

I like bone-in. I cut along the bone almost all the way through but leave it attached, then tie it back together. You can add some rub there as well. Then when it is done, the bones are easy to remove before carving and are my treat!

I always tie the bones back on. I was told with using them it works as a natural rack and also keeps the bottom of the roast from over cooking. Vince

I like the bone-on roasts because it acts as a heat shield keeping the roast moist, and the ribs are wonderful to eat. Following the rest, I remove them and they go back on the cooker just long enough to get some color on the inside face.

I cook my standing rib roasts with low pit temps and start with the ribs down. Sometimes I never have to turn them at all, unless it's for some color. Now, this year I had to get a boneless roast and it's about 3-1/2 pounds..... so my game plan is to start of like usual, but I have a shallow pan I may opt to use during the second half of the cook.

What are the differences, Besides the obvious?

Is flavor richer with bone-in? Cooking times, temps?

My butcher has both. I am buying on Friday to start proper aging for Xmas. I need to pull the trigger on a $180 chunk o' beef.
How do you plan on aging? I'd have the butcher dry age it for you. Not sure I'd trust a butchers cryovac machine to wet age it in a fridge. Besides dry aging is best. Just tell him you want to pick up a dry aged roast for XMAS and he can look after it for you.

I can tell you from experience that the four-legged members of my family definitely prefer I buy bone in!!!!

Bone-in at Costco cost $1/lb less than without the bones. I buy the Bone-in, remove myself before cooking (1 minute of my time). I don't even tie them back on. I set the roast on top of the ribs and cook. About an 1.5 hours before done, I take the bones out from under the roast and set them on another rack to brown the underside of the roast and ribs. Now you have the best of both worlds.:wink:

BTW - I bought my roast (20 lb) for $5.99/lb at Costco. That's a great buy.

Bone-in at Costco cost $1/lb less than without the bones. I buy the Bone-in, remove myself before cooking (1 minute of my time). I don't even tie them back on. I set the roast on top of the ribs and cook. About an 1.5 hours before done, I take the bones out from under the roast and set them on another rack to brown the underside of the roast and ribs. Now you have the best of both worlds.:wink:

BTW - I bought my roast (20 lb) for $5.99/lb at Costco. That's a great buy.

Just so you know. You're famous in these parts.:wink:

3353-summer.jpg

Back