MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:38 AM   #1
GridironGriller2
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Starting to plan....

Well I got lucky my girlfriend of 2 1/2 years agreed to marry me.(I really think it was fact that I love to cook that sealed the deal.) So its time to start planning the wedding for next summer apox July 31st. I have thought of the unique idea of having both best men and best cooks. The best cooks are friends and mentors that I have cooked with for years. The basic idea is that the best cooks will help cook the rehearsal dinner and reception along with me and the best men.

So i wanted to lay out my plan as of now and let you guys pick it apart. We have plenty of time but the sooner I can lock everything down the better.

The rehearsal dinner will be a Memphis style BBQ dinner (The wedding is in Memphis and our families are not from here). Apox size 40 people. I was thinking pulled pork, bbq chicken, Pork loin or ribs, salad, slaw, beans, breads, and brownies for dessert. Appetizers would be a sausage and cheese tray (with a few fatties), ABTs, and moink balls.

My soon to be wife also has given me control over the reception food. The reception will be in the evening so i was thinking HEAVY ordirves. Apox 200 -250 guests. Items like smoked salmon with sides of cream cheese, capers, and onions with baguette toast, 3 different hot dips w/ baguette toast (Hot Sausage & Mushroom, Carinvial Crawfish, and spinach & artichoke dips), Veg tray, Fruit Tray, Cheese tray, craving station with smoked pork loin and a beef item (still debating what type) with sauces and rolls. Also thinking of a sweets table with little sugar cookies, mints, etc.

With the help of the best cooks I have plenty of cookers and cooks to help make this task alot easier. Also equipment like camboros, chaffing dishes, etc are not an issue.

So before I even think about quantities I need your help to review the menus, add suggestions, and make comments.

Thanks in advance.
GridironGriller2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2009, 06:59 AM   #2
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Congratulations!

Hire a caterer. You have to many other things to worry about on your special day.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:51 AM   #3
3 Rivers BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Congratulations! I recommend that you and your bride elope! The biggest fights that my wife and I have ever had in our 16 yrs, was the wedding planning. True mostly from families, but it was bad. We ended up calling family on Wednesday and telling them, we are getting married this saturday a this chapel that fits 12 people, so if you want to come...then come..if not then dont. We saved tons of money, headaches and have never regretted it at all! Now if you do the big wedding....caterer it....focus on the bachelor party and enjoy the day! Hopefully many years after.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:44 AM   #4
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

hire a caterer and enjoy ur day!
Old 11-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #5
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

It looks like somebody's trying to find a distraction. "If I'm up to my elbows in meaty treats and smoke, then I don't have time to think about the 2 words I'll have to say later in the day... Do I? I mean, I Do."

Godda say, I like the rehersal dinner idea though, makes it personal and you get to have fun with your bros, but man... reception dinner for 300 peeps on a day that's already jam packed... hire it out or have your best cooks handle everything. Put together a menu, hand them a wad of cash and then don't think about it again (except to go steal some early samples).

BTW - Wife and I eloped, best damn decision we ever made (except for the guilt trips we still get from family 13 years later...) We still had a large reception a few weeks later but most of the stress was gone. was a good day.

Congrats!
[B]1967' Int'l Harvester M1100 Food Truck, 220ci 6cyl - 5' ABS Judge - Plethora of Weber Kettles - 2 WSM 22.5's – Bunch of Thermapen Mk's - 36” BlackStone - 3 Bayou Classic Fryers - Ice Cold Kegerator[/B]

[B][I]“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz[/I][/B]
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:54 PM   #6
GridironGriller2
Knows what a fatty is.

That is a concerned I had about the reception... would it be to much??? I've done plenty of gigs with 200 people with very little help. My problem though is price for a caterer. I do like the idea of handing the best cooks a wad of cash, basic menu, and let them run with it.
GridironGriller2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:46 PM   #7
Jet2
Full Fledged Farker

Contratulations on her saying yes! I'm with everybody else here-let somebody else do the cooking. Even though it has been almost 25 years since we said I do, I remember that day and with pictures, cake cutting, family etc there was no way in the world I could have pulled off catering the reception or the rehersal.
Jet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #8
chambersuac

Gridiron, congratulations! I have to agree, get a caterer - or at least just have your buddies do it and you stay away - you'll be busy - and IF something goes wrong it won't be because you were spending too much time cooking.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:10 PM   #9
big brother smoke

Hand the keys over to someone else for the reception. I could see if you eloped and was having a reception later. However, if you must, make sure you do things you can freeze in advance such as butts and briskie.

Menu looks good!