Mini UDS

• Thread starter Tangled Up In Q
  • Start date
T

Tangled Up In Q

Need help from the UDS pros ! I have a new 30gal drum that I can make a Mini UDS with. Has anyone done this? and is it worth while. I have read all the UDS posts, but would have questions such as the exhaust... Would you prefer the 2 1/4 hole that is already in the center of the lid, or keep the plug in it and drill holes around the edge? and if so how many holes and what size?? I fear that the drum being so short and 2 1/4 in center is so large the temp will be high and heat will flow straight through.. However I don't know, thats why I am here.. Any Ideas?

Personally, I'd leave the bung in and drill 1/2" holes around the lid. How many? I don't know on a 30 gallon lid-I have four 1/2" holes on my 15 gallon MINI and it does the job. If you search around on the BDS site and find links you may see a lid getting unpacked and get an idea.

Garth has a 30 gallon drum and I think he uses a Weber lid on his, if you go that route-rotate the lid during the cooks.

You may want to consider changing your user settings to accept PM's

Thanks

I will change that setting!! I have been on the site for a while, but do alot more reading than writing. Anyways, I think I will do 4 as well. Also with the short height does anyone think there will be a need for a water pan?

~Jeff

Back