3 in a row

CajunSmoker

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Or
It would burn me out. I do about 1 a month and get sick of it towards the end

I'd say a bit of both. We found we were hitting a perfect stride by the third one........on automatic mode...

See ya in Hammond!!8)

We really enjoy all 3 contests and don't want to miss out on any of them. My ? is do you think cooking week after week will help hone your skill or burn you out?

How much free labor do you have to help you load, and unload?:cool: That can make all the difference in the world!

Edit: If the new job allows, I might try to make it to Hammond.

Like Tonto said, it does a little of both. The quick repetition makes it easier to develop a consistent routine and make minor changes for improvement along the way. But you have to put the rest of your life on hold for 3 weeks.

It would probably burn me out. It is easier if the weather cooperates. It takesa me a few days to recuperate.

IMO, it depends on how much work u have to do to setup .

if you packing and unpacking and shopping and cleaning, loading and unloading for each event, I think you'll burn out. (I would).

If your have a trailer and just restocking coolers and fridge. Its alot easier and you can do it.

Pre trailer days for me, I was a waste after a contest and it took 3 days to unload and a week for my knees to heal. No way I was able to do back to backs. Now, its possible if everything gets put away clean and all Im doiing is restocking.

We did a similar tour last summer: three consecutive weekends, three different states.

8/16 in Fairfield, CA -- 4th overall
8/23 in Salt Lake City, UT -- 3rd overall
8/30 in Taylor, AZ -- Reserve

There was a trend there.
The first interim week I felt a bit beat up and like I wasn't quite on stride, but by the third I was looking around going "Okay, where are we going THIS week?" and being all disappointed that I had to wait another three weeks for the next show!

ETA: We compete out of a 5x8 trailer, so it was getting half-unloaded each time to restock -- no RV action here.

My first real year of BBQ competition in 2005, i did 3 in a row, in august. had to rent a U-haul trailer at that time, and sleep outside, each weekend was in the 90's and humid. it sucked.

I might be flying solo for Hammond. Have to figure out how the girls Spring Break is going to be set-up.

I get tired after 10 or 12 in a row... As I am sorta itching to cook now.

How much free labor do you have to help you load, and unload?:cool: That can make all the difference in the world!

Keep me updated as we get closer:cool: It's a great contest with some really good food!

I'd say a bit of both. We found we were hitting a perfect stride by the third one........on automatic mode...

See ya in Hammond!!8)

looking forward to meeting you guys.

if you packing and unpacking and shopping and cleaning, loading and unloading for each event, I think you'll burn out. (I would).

If your have a trailer and just restocking coolers and fridge. Its alot easier and you can do it.

Pre trailer days for me, I was a waste after a contest and it took 3 days to unload and a week for my knees to heal. No way I was able to do back to backs. Now, its possible if everything gets put away clean and all Im doiing is restocking.

We pull my camper, so everything is loaded already for the most part. Just throw the trash cans, ECB and turkey fryer in the back of the truck, fill up the ice chests with beer, food and ice and were on the road.

We did a similar tour last summer: three consecutive weekends, three different states.

8/16 in Fairfield, CA -- 4th overall
8/23 in Salt Lake City, UT -- 3rd overall
8/30 in Taylor, AZ -- Reserve

There was a trend there.
The first interim week I felt a bit beat up and like I wasn't quite on stride, but by the third I was looking around going "Okay, where are we going THIS week?" and being all disappointed that I had to wait another three weeks for the next show!

ETA: We compete out of a 5x8 trailer, so it was getting half-unloaded each time to restock -- no RV action here.

I like the looks of your trend:cool:

I gotta have a place to crash, I'm getting too old and fat to sleep in a lawn chair.

Keep me updated as we get closer:cool: It's a great contest with some really good food!

looking forward to meeting you guys.

We pull my camper, so everything is loaded already for the most part. Just throw the trash cans, ECB and turkey fryer in the back of the truck, fill up the ice chests with beer, food and ice and were on the road.

I like the looks of your trend:cool:

I gotta have a place to crash, I'm getting too old and fat to sleep in a lawn chair.

Fat? How much weight could you have gained since I saw you in Magnolia?:lol:

I believe I did three (3) 5-in-a-rows this year, and several other multiple (3) contest stretches. Mostly by myself, from a open air trailer, sleeping in a lounge chair, no a/c or heat. It's all dependent on what you're used to, and how badly you want to do it. As far as your question:
My ? is do you think cooking week after week will help hone your skill or burn you out?
I was sporadic earlier in the year in my multiple weeks and can't really find a pattern. But I have honed my skills in the long haul, and have had a strong last 5 contests in a row: 3rd, GC, GC, GC, GC :-D

Pfffft who you kidding? I can guarantee that I set up and break down in half the time that you do :tongue:

Rodger, a three-pete would be tough...but fun! Wifey and I will be judging at smokeonthewater in Little Rock so we will try to look you up Friday night or Saturday after the turn-ins. Good Luck with all three events.

Wifey and I will be judging at smokeonthewater in Little Rock
You will? I'm looking longingly at that one -- it's a bit of a haul for us to start the season with, and we'd end up with short intervals between contests -- it'd be like catapulting right into the middle of season again, but I really want to go!

Wusses! Come to Stagecoach this year! We do 3 contests in 2 days all while doing people's choice!

I see you are a judge. How about a combo like compete in the 1st one the judge the 2nd and bbq or judge the 3rd one.

Back