Chile Colorado PRON

BobBrisket

Reaction score
2837309528_cff1f64ee9_o.jpg

Here's the dry red with the stems removed.
2837309540_0f492b98b8_o.jpg

Into a pot of boiling water. YES, you hafta BOIL them. These ain't ribs though! The dark red water that's left over is the key to great colorado. Don't ever throw it out.
2837309546_81f7983cda_o.jpg

Into the food mill to strain.
2837312606_cb05856d9c_o.jpg

There's the chile water for thinning. And the chile concentrate with garlic, onion puree added along with salt and pepper.
2837312618_2b60b73baa_o.jpg

Nothing like bread soaked with chile. I had to check the seasoning.
2837569698_6c4fa34df8_o.jpg

Here's the water going into the cubed pork and beef. After this I tossed in 6 ladles of chile concentrate and then some reg water. It's simmering now and I'll have some served pics soon.

The leftover concentrate will go into quart size freezer bags for use later on when the weather gets colder..........can you say Tex/Mex Chili!!

The leftover concentrate will go into quart size freezer bags for use later on when the weather gets colder..........can you say Tex/Mex Chili!!

I´d kill for one of those bags :icon_pissed

Looks great Bob. How was the air in the kitchen ?

DM

Looks good Bob! I can imagine that thickened up and used as a paste on a pork tenderloin.

Come on over........we'll all call in sick tomorrow!!

You know, I never thought about reducing it down to a paste and using as a slather. It would give a great rich and earthy taste for sure.

Oh man Bob!!! That looks excellent. May I come over tomorrow too?:shock:

Lookin' good.

Did you have to boil them, remove them from the water and then remove/ scrape the skin off?

I have to do that when I make my beef chili. Im just wondering if there is an easier method.

Everyone's invited!:-D

I just take the stem off and then boil them. Once in the blender I let them puree for a good while. The food mill will separate and stray seeds and skin. That's too much trouble to remove the skins. Once it goes through the mill its all juice and no seeds or skin.

That's too much trouble to remove the skins.

Tell me about it! ..

That takes a VERY long time and its just terribly messy.

I know have a food processor so that should do the trick this winter.

thanks

Tell me about it! ..

That takes a VERY long time and its just terribly messy.

I know have a food processor so that should do the trick this winter.

thanks

Buy yourself a good food mill or even good sized screen type strainer. You'll never hafta peel em again.:-D

Hey Bob - Have you ever used flour to thicken your chili? Growing up my grandma used to do this, similar method you just showed plus added flour. Man it was thick and so good, we used to put it on just about everything from eggs to steak. Makes me hungry just thinking about it.

Good eats Maynard!

My basic sauce starts the same way, once in the blender it gets oregano, garlic, cumin, and salt before I strain it.

Tell me about this food mill.
Call me stupid, but I don't think I know what that is.
2838035080_ae40f91772_o.jpg

2838035090_3f7d7e6058_o.jpg

Well, it's just a strainer with a handle. My mom handed this one down to me cause she bought a bigger one. As you turn the handle, the paddle presses the slurry against the screen and the little wire on the bottom swipes all the good stuff off of the screen. Those two hooks allow it to sit atop another pot. Pretty simple really.

Hey Bob - Have you ever used flour to thicken your chili? Growing up my grandma used to do this, similar method you just showed plus added flour. Man it was thick and so good, we used to put it on just about everything from eggs to steak. Makes me hungry just thinking about it.

I use flour for Texas chili(with an i) only. I like the Mexican version a bit soupier.
Good eats Maynard!

My basic sauce starts the same way, once in the blender it gets oregano, garlic, cumin, and salt before I strain it.

I keep my concentrate basic just because I'll end up using it for other things like tamales, enchiladas, posole, menudo, and such. So the basic concentrate will allow me to season it later on according to what I'm gonna use it for. I'm about to have me a bowl and some slices of bread!

2837275969_906634b6a6_o.jpg

A nice bowl of colorado to cap off a Cowboys victory. It had good heat and nice richness. The bread's for sopping up the soup!!

GREAT LOOKING FOOD, AMIGO!

Just a thought...Instead of adding flour in straight form to thicken (and risk lumping), make a rue.

Bring butter (not margeriane) to the hottest point just prior to burning in a medium skillet. Slowly add Flour till all Butter is absorbed and is the consistency of runny peanut butter. (Should smell like roasted Chestnuts at this point.) Slowly stir mixture into chili.

This is also a great method for thickening the stock when making Beef Stroganoff in a crock pot. Or any stock for that matter. I always add the rue w/meat in stock for the last hour of cooking. It helps finish the tenderizing of the meat. If the meat is already tender enough, drain stock from meat, thicken stock w/rue and then add the cooked meat. That way the meat won't shread out when mixing in the rue.

Never, ever, use corn starch for thickening. It works ok for the first go-round, but I always cook planning for leftovers, and you can't reheat a mix w/corn starch satisfactorily.

Back