Anybody here ever Make Bacon?

bbqbull

Watching over us.
Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody here has ever made their own bacon from side meat? If so how did it turn out? I got a wild hair to make some here.

Mike

Ive used Buckboard for making canadian bacon. I didnt care for it at all. My wife went nuts for it as well as other folks that I used as guinea pigs. they raved over it. I dunno, I guess ive turned into the worlds worst food critic.
I like regular store bought bacon and we go through quite a bit of it at deer camp. I was in the store the other day and saw some bacon priced at almost $7.00 a pound. Im thinking I can make it a lot cheaper than that.

I used Morton Tender-Quick on a loin for Canadian Bacon last month. It turned out good for a first try, so I might try using the flap meat off of spares for regular bacon. Has anyone done this?
TIA, Dave

jgh1204 said:
If I knew where to buy pork bellies, I would try. Plenty of us make buckboard bacon from pork butts and pork loins using the High Mountain seasoning.

[FONT=&quot]Yellow pages; then look for abattoirs or slaughterhouses.[/FONT]

bacon

I've been toying with the same idea so I asked the butcher in the local markets meat dept. if he could order me some fresh pork bellies and he said "no problem"...he's getting me some prices today!!..Wi-Doe

yes I made some last year and thinking that I will do some agian I cured it for two weeks and Cold smoked it for 12 hours it was great.

jgh1204 said:
If I knew where to buy pork bellies, I would try. Plenty of us make buckboard bacon from pork butts and pork loins using the High Mountain seasoning.

Pork belly is over here but they aren't cheap. I'd rather buy bacon on sale for $2-$3#

I did a few months ago. I was pleased with the results considering I didn't know what the hell I was doing. :biggrin:

I got pork bellies from a local asian market, brined them for 24 hours in salt, sugar, water, mollasses, and apple juice. I then cold smoked it for four hours using apple and hickory. It was bascially a test run for a cheap cold smoker.

I then froze it slightly so I could slice it easier. Cooked some up and the family loved it. Froze the rest for beans.

I would actually like to try again, but this time cure the meat ahead of time. Need to read up on curing first, though.

Found some pics. before smoking, after slicing and cooked.

Last edited by a moderator:
SmokeInDaEye said:
attachment.php

'Tis a beautiful thing....

jgh1204 said:

if you truly live in harlingen, you should have plenty of places around there that sell pork bellies. just ask some of the folks around there where they get their chicharon meat/skin.

Back