MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:06 PM   #1
mattybbq
On the road to being a farker

Default Cooking grate in the firebox

Some of the Yoder/Klose style smokers are offsets with a cooking grate in the firebox. For a backyard level of cooking (not competition), do people find this useful to grill steaks or hamburgers (regular family dinner couple steaks or burgers) or prefer a more traditional grill method.

Grill a couple times a week, thinking about whether can depend on the smoker firebox as my go to charcoal grill.

General design discussing in this photo
http://www.yodersmokers.com/images/p...wichita_06.jpg
mattybbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2014, 10:58 PM   #2
KC Transplant
Full Fledged Farker

I'm curious too. I'm building reverse flow and was thinking about making a rack for a grill in the firebox. I don't see why it wouldn't work. Get as much use out of it as I can.
KC Transplant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2014, 11:08 PM   #3
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattybbq View Post
Some of the Yoder/Klose style smokers are offsets with a cooking grate in the firebox. For a backyard level of cooking (not competition), do people find this useful to grill steaks or hamburgers (regular family dinner couple steaks or burgers) or prefer a more traditional grill method.

Grill a couple times a week, thinking about whether can depend on the smoker firebox as my go to charcoal grill.

General design discussing in this photo
http://www.yodersmokers.com/images/p...wichita_06.jpg
My pit has a grill top firebox only with a warmer/oven on top of it. Now I'm completely spoiled and I wouldn't have a pit built without that set-up. Here's a video of the oven and almost the exact pit that I have. You can use your imagination while watching this as to what all you can do with it!
I cook ribs and chicken in the oven all the time and I have a 24" x 24" grill to do burgers or a steak if I wish as well!

Old 04-25-2014, 07:06 AM   #4
Motocrossed
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

My offset has a grate in the firebox. When I do steaks, I now only do them reverse seared. Best steaks ever! Smoke them at 220° until they reach 133° internal. Then throw them on the firebox grate for 1 minute each side. For regular grilling, I prefer just a grill personally.

Thanks from:--->