stainless steel oyster shells = awesome

deepsouth

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
i CAN'T WAIT to use these....

http://sosoystershells.com/

they seem to be a bit on the pricey side (maybe), but i haven't found a better alternative to these yet.

i started with a dozen, but i can see 2 or 3 more dozen in the near future.

i undertand that rouses grocery stores now carry these as well.

I thought about getting some of these. They look pretty handy to have. Lookin' forward to seeing how you like them! Thanks!

I've never grilled oysters so I gotta ask.....

What's wrong with using the "au natural" shells?
Or is it so you can cook shucked oysters in without having to get the whole ones?

I've never grilled oysters so I gotta ask.....

What's wrong with using the "au natural" shells?
Or is it so you can cook shucked oysters in without having to get the whole ones?

IF i were shucking them, i'd grill them in the shells, but my bro-in-law is a seafood broker, so i don't open oysters.

sorry about the fuzzy.

Makes sense, but as far as the sanitary thing goes....I gotta wonder if the natural oyster shells are any less sanitary than the raw oysters I love so much? :rolleyes:

Still.....seems a lot easier to work with.
Now if I can only get anyone in my family to want to try them.
OR get nice fresh oysters here in "land locked" Indiana.....

these are cool and all, but I charbroil oysters all the time. At my weekend gig we've got a woodfired pizza oven, typically runs 700-800 degrees all day long. We also do raw oysters, so opening them up "sanitarily" is one of our specialties. They won't sit flat on a broil dish, so what I do is use rock salt. bury them in there slightly, butter, garlic breadcrumbs little parmesan, goodness in a shell.

i had thought about digging around the shores and trying to find some shells that were uniform in size and then i said fark that after talking to a few guys who did that very thing.

i like the size of these things and i'm pretty sure i'll get more use out of them than deguerre does his corn butter holder things. :p :heh:

to be more clear, i didn't buy these because sanitation is an issue to me, i bought them because of the size and the fact that i don't have to go dig in the bay for them.

If I got them they'd wind up next to the yellow plastic corn on the cob butter boats to be left, unused, as well...

Pretty much same boat I'm in.

I am lucky enough to be in an area to have fresh oysters readily available. One of my buddies get them each cook out at her house and we always just roast them in shell. Shucking is easy since the oysters are done when they open.

i'm still confused thou. where are you getting shucked fresh shell-less oysters from? Up here all we get are fresh ones unopened. pop the top, dressed, right in the oven

I can have a sack of oysters opened for $10 plus wholesale cost of the sack.

I can't get fresh oysters very often here but the store usually carries shucked ones. These SS shells might work ok for individual servings. I can get several shucked ones in a pie pan but individual servings would be nice sometimes.

now that's a bargain! I've spent plenty of time on the working end of a shucking knife, idk how many are in your wholesale bags, but up here there's at least 100. $10......i'd hire that guy in a heartbeat

they are full size sacks. shucked, you can barely fit a sack in a gallon bucket.

I can see the point of these, especially if you are like Jeanie, and mostly get jarred oysters. I get fresh from the water and can shuck a Pacific coast oyster in seconds, no problem for me to cook them in their own shell. But, I can see where folks would enjoy these.

Maybe I'm spoiled by endless fresh seafood but I have no idea what I would do with that thing. Do you put an already shucked oyster in it just to suck it out of something like a shell?

I can see the point of these, especially if you are like Jeanie, and mostly get jarred oysters. I get fresh from the water and can shuck a Pacific coast oyster in seconds, no problem for me to cook them in their own shell. But, I can see where folks would enjoy these.

That would be great Bob! Sometimes I wish I lived closer to the ocean. :grin:

Maybe I'm spoiled by endless fresh seafood but I have no idea what I would do with that thing. Do you put an already shucked oyster in it just to suck it out of something like a shell?

I want to pile as many goodies on top of the oyster that the SS shell will hold. :becky:

i plan on cooking in them. tonight i'm going to try shrimp au gratin. i know it's kind of gimmicky, but sometimes gimmicks are fun.

Back