MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
akakakir
Found some matches.

Default Noobish question: What cut is this?

Hi,

As my post count show, I'm a new member of this forum. BBQ is a new passion and while I still have everything to learn, I'm glad I've found this large and respectful community.

Anyway, I intend on doing a proper introduction tomorrow with a first TR with pics on my first pulled pork attempt. That being said, I'm just back from my local butcher, and I have my first question. I'm from Quebec, Canada, and the BBQ culture is almost inexistant here. The other thing is that all cuts of meat are in French (so pardon my English if I sound weird at points :D) and that communicating with the English names of cuts leads to nothing more than empty stares. I bought two different pieces and want to make sure I haven't made a crucial mistake yet, even before firing the pit!

I'm 99% positive that the left piece is what you refer to as the picnic cut. What about the right one? Would that be a Boston butt? The litteral translation of the sticker would be "pork spine". If not, what is it and will it be any good for pulled pork? That's what the butcher suggested, but he didn't look like much of a BBQ enthousiast ;)

If I've got the right cuts, the idea is to find my favorite one for future attempts.

Thanks. Can't wait for a first experience tomorrow and having your feedback on what to improve.
akakakir is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looks like pork butt, but can't really tell for sure in the wrapper.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
Bludawg

Looks to me like a Bone in Butt on the right and a Boned out Picnic on the left. Having been a world traveler / adventurous type for over 1/2 my adult life I have found that a little sign language can go a long way when trying to get your point across in a language deficit. Since the pork Butt comes from the upper shoulder and the picnic is the lower section: on you the picnic would be the area between your elbow and the upper side of your bicep the Butt would be the portion from the upper side of your bicep to your shoulder joint. A little show & tell with the butcher will most likely get you what you want.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
BBQ Grail

It's pork shoulder (google translation)

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Sure looks like a butt to me as well.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #6
deguerre

Looks like the question's been answered.

But, who you calling respectful?

And, Welocme!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
akakakir
Found some matches.

Thanks for these quick answers. Glad I'm off to a good start haha.

Should have a full TR late tomorrow or at some point on Sunday (will basically depend on the number of beers drunk beside the pit and enjoying the smell)

Old 08-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

First off.......welcome to the Forum!
And it looks like you've got some great cuts for delicious pulled pork. Lookin' forward to the pics.

Have fun with your cook.

KC

Old 08-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #9
BBQ-Jim
On the road to being a farker

Put some rub on it, on the smoker till it is probe tender, foil and let rest for an hour or so, pull and enjoy..... Don't stress it will turn out great....

Jim
BBQ-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #10
SmittyJonz

So what type smoker u using? We like equipment pics as well as food pics.
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #11
akakakir
Found some matches.

smoking with a Vision Grill kamado. Will have equipment and food pics tomorrow for sure!