MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
rlt
On the road to being a farker

Default Dreaming of BBQ

I am roughly three months away from getting home from my nine month all inclusive paid vacation to Afghanistan. It is time to begin preparing for my arrival back home. As I start to look at purchases for my BBQ habit, I realize that I have a problem. My guys are all looking at parts to make their car, truck, motorcycle, etc, go fast, but I am looking at temp controllers and cookers. They think I'm weird, but I don't think so. So anyway, let me ask this. I want to get a temp controller, and I am willing to pay up to 400 dollars for a good one. But, I also want another large BGE. I have a line on a new large without eggcessories for 800 dollars. I can do pretty well on my current BGE without a temp controller, but I want to step my game up to the next level. I can't justify a controller and a BGE at the same time right now. Should I get the controller and wait on the egg, or should I get the egg and wait on the controller? What say the brethren? Thanks guys. Cheers.

Bobby

Old 07-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

First, thank you for your service!!
I believe you are not far from Brother PWA who runs Burlesque Q (sp?) a new smoke shack up there.
Catch up with him and go from there.
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153650[/URL]

"[COLOR=Navy]When it comes right down to it, you just want to be surrounded by good people and good food."[/COLOR]-Chuck Hughes
Thermal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Well, even thought it was a paid trip, it's not nearly enough to express our thanks for your service. Thank You! Personally, I'd get the BGE for the price mentioned and pass on the controller for now.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
TowersOfFood
Knows what a fatty is.

get another big green egg, they are the best. Thank you for your service.
18.5 WSM, 22.5 WSM, 22.5 Weber OTS, XL BGE, Smokey Joe silver, Weber E-330 and La Caja China #2.
TowersOfFood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
PekingPorker
is one Smokin' Farker

First off, thanks for your service and get home safely.

Next, the only time temp doesn't remain stable on my Egg is if I am doing an overnight cook and sleeping most of the night. At worse, I've seen temp drop about 30 degrees, and go up about 15 degrees. That's the only time I ever wanted a guru for the Egg.

So... you can never have too many smokers!

Old 07-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

The only thing I got for ya is THANK YOU, Ya'll are in my prayers! Safe return home.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

I would get the contoller and work on (as you said) "stepping up your game". Who knows but once you get back and in full BBQ mode you might look at another type of set up to expand your cooking.

IMHO I would get back and cook a little bit before you picked up another heavy ceramic cooker.

And ... thank you for your service.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #8
Armadillo

Thanks for your service we are all better people thanks to those who serve

Old 07-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #9
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Thank you for your service.

If you can't control your fire without one, you won't be able to magically control one with one. My controller can be more hassle than it is worth at times. It shines when the weather is changing through the cook, such as when you start the smoker in 90* sun and go to bed and it goes to 60* dark. Otherwise, most often I don't think it adds much. This is probably even truer with an Egg.

I would get another Egg if you need the space. I would get the Egg if you want a lasting investment. But, if you would never have parties and never need to run two at once and just want a shiny toy to play with, I would get the controller. Nothing wrong with that. But, only my humble opinion.

Stay safe. Get home.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #10
rcpilot44
Got Wood.

Get home safe and thank you so much. The USA would not be what it is today without folks like you.
rcpilot44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #11
jlane
Full Fledged Farker

As others have said, a big Thank You to you and all your brothers and sisters over there. Come home soon and safe! Why get another egg now if you don't need the room? Get the temp control and while you're at it get one with wifi, I bet that will come in handy in Alaska in a few months. Stay safe friend.
jlane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 04:08 PM   #12
tx_hellraiser
Full Fledged Farker

Thank you for your service to our country
tx_hellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #13
kenthanson
is one Smokin' Farker

BGE, they are pretty efficient and stable to start with.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #14
rlt

Thanks for the input guys. I am going to buy another egg. And thank you for all of the well wishes and appreciation. It really means alot. Cheers

Bobby

Old 07-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #15
hav
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for your Service!

I would get the egg, only because the technology behind the controlers keeps changing, different options and that sort of thing.

But then again, it looks like you already have a Large...perhaps a controler would be ok.
14" Table Top Kettle Grill; Turkey Fryer; [B][I][COLOR=red]Rapid-Fire-Red[/COLOR][/I][/B] Thermapen!; [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B][I]Mini, Small, Medium & Large BGE![/I][/B][/COLOR]
hav is offline   Reply With Quote