New to BBQ Books (Cajun, in my case)

Bob in St. Louis

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So my Mom gave me an old book she had, "Paul Prudhomme - Louisiana Kitchen". Looks to be from 1984, and there's not a dirty page on it, which tells me this book was more than likely never used. Looks like some pretty good recipes in there, of course I'll have to smoke them, but you new that.
Didn't you? :becky:

I've never been one for "recipe books", although I've perused the internet for some cooking ideas from time to time.
This one might be a game changer though. Looks yummy.

9780062039422_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

That is one of our go-to books. Also try River Road Recipes I and II.

So my Mom gave me an old book she had, "Paul Prudhomme - Louisiana Kitchen". Looks to be from 1984, and there's not a dirty page on it, which tells me this book was more than likely never used. Looks like some pretty good recipes in there, of course I'll have to smoke them, but you new that.
Didn't you? :becky:

I've never been one for "recipe books", although I've perused the internet for some cooking ideas from time to time.
This one might be a game changer though. Looks yummy.

9780062039422_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

I have a copy good book.

I didn't know he started the blacken catfish trend, that's pretty cool.

yea, my cajun cooking skills are non-existant. I'm a noob, to say the least.
I've been wanting to try my hand at it, and this was just enough to push me over the edge. Yum. Not sure which one I want to try first, they all look so good.

Hey Bob great book. I was fortunate enough to spend some time with him back in the 1980's. He has been a huge influence for me. His sister was a great chef in her own right. My book is a first edition and a prized possessions.

DSC01201.jpg

Hey Crimson a small correction it was Blackened Redfish that vaulted him onto the national stage.

I read somewhere that Paul Prudhomme and Company own the Stubb's Brand.

CD

I love that book. You can use the smothered rabbit recipe on any rich red meat and it is awesome.

What I really love, though, is that he doesn't eff around with margarine. That dude loves him some unsalted butter!

I like his method for making a roux.... hot hot hot oil... not hours standing around the kitchen babysitting a cast iron skillet.

Great book.

Yea I dont know why I said catfish but yes redfish.Like the wiki has
Prudhomme has been credited with popularising cajunn cuisine and in particular blackened readfish during the 1980s, and has been credited with introducing the turducken.

I think my fav is The Paul Prudhomme Family Cookbook

I am surprised he is still alive. I can remember watching him on public television in the '90's and he was so heavy he couldn't stand up. Hopefully he got a little healthier.
I also remember hearing that he gave Emeril Lagasse one of his first gigs.

Yeah, I've been meaning to pick up that book for a while now...no good local places for Cajun means I need to start cooking it for myself.

I have the same book, one of the first I bought although mine shows the use. The protective cover is pretty ragged and there are ingredient stains throughout. I have made most of the recipes over the years and they were all great. I purchased the book exclusively at the time just to make blackened redfish. They were plentiful and it was easy to bring home a stringer of beautiful redfish. In fact the blackened redfish craze is what eventually caused the Florida redfish fishery to close. One of the largest commercial fish processors was caught with over 70,000 lbs. of illegal redfish. They did away with netting and placed some heavy restrictions on recreational fishermen. I forget what the current restrictions are now but the redfish have come back strong. Great Book!

i recently got a copy of The Evolution of Cajun and Creole Cuisine by John Folse and am very impressed with it. Got a gently-used one from Amazon for around $7 (and it was even signed)

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0962515205/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: The Evolution of Cajun and Creole Cuisine (9780962515200): John D. Folse: Books[/ame]

Back