• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Red beans and rice

Kevin

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
This isn't Q but this forum has kind of turned into all things good to eat. If this post is off topic please move it.

I just made up a batch of red beans and rice using the recipe in the Brethren home page recipe file.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/cookbook/viewrecipe.php?id=34&category=Rice Dishes

No one took credit for this recipe, but it is realy good. I've been making red beans and rice for years. This one is good. Took longer than it said for the beans to get tender, but my beans could be 2 years old. Anyway, thanks to whoever put it in there.

BTW, this could feed about 25 people. Might want to scale it down.

Looks good. We need to get a similar recipe out there for dirty rice. BRD's got one... cook rice, drop in dirt, stir.

Pretty much the way I make them. Making some today in fact. Only 2 differences for me.

1. Never cared for celery so I don't use it.

2. Bell Peppers are so expensive out here right now that I started using Jalapenos instead. They leave them on the plant longer so they are huge and a lot milder.

You can also try adding some leftover smoked pork if you have some left in the back of your freezer...

Bigmista said:
Pretty much the way I make them. Making some today in fact. Only 2 differences for me.

1. Never cared for celery so I don't use it.

2. Bell Peppers are so expensive out here right now that I started using Jalapenos instead. They leave them on the plant longer so they are huge and a lot milder.

You can also try adding some leftover smoked pork if you have some left in the back of your freezer...
Blasphemy! Celery and bell peppers are part of the "Trinity"!!

However, I realize that a lot of people do not like celery, so I slice really thin so that it desolves during long cooks. As far as bell peppers, I have just stomached the higher prices, just like I have for gas. I will have to try letting the japs grow larger.

Give the japs a shot. Little extra spice and flavor.

OK, I cheated too. Bell peppers are pretty high priced right now so I've been using frozen chopped bell peppers. Will try a few japs next time.

I'm in a Cajun mood too! I made a smoked duck, andouille, and shripm gumbo. I smoked the duck breastscyesterday while cooking for a Super Bole Party. Took me 1.5 hours to get the roux dark enough!

The Woodman said:
I'm in a Cajun mood too! I made a smoked duck, andouille, and shripm gumbo. I smoked the duck breastscyesterday while cooking for a Super Bole Party. Took me 1.5 hours to get the roux dark enough!
1.5 hours is a long time! How much did you make? How did it come out?

Bigmista said:
...You can also try adding some leftover smoked pork if you have some left in the back of your freezer...

Next time you see 'em in the grocery store, pick up several packs of smoked hocks or shanks and give them a second smoke in your cooker, then freeze. They are outstanding in beans, soups etc. and damn good on their own.

d10a770c.jpg

The Woodman said:
Took me 1.5 hours to get the roux dark enough!

Talk about Low and Slow!

Hey! A thought just occurred to me. Sometimes instead of stirring for a long time, I toast the flour for the roux in the oven for about 30 minutes. Then I add the hot flour to the "trinity" that is already sauteing in the bottom of my gumbo pot. It gets dark instantly and all I have to do is add my stock.

I'm wondering how it would taste if I toasted my flour in the smoker before adding it to the roux? Do you think the flour would pick up some opf the smoke flavor?

Bigmista said:
Talk about Low and Slow!

Hey! A thought just occurred to me. Sometimes instead of stirring for a long time, I toast the flour for the roux in the oven for about 30 minutes. Then I add the hot flour to the "trinity" that is already sauteing in the bottom of my gumbo pot. It gets dark instantly and all I have to do is add my stock.

I'm wondering how it would taste if I toasted my flour in the smoker before adding it to the roux? Do you think the flour would pick up some opf the smoke flavor?

Interesting idea. My question would be about the change in color I'd expect from the flour because of the smoke. I cook a roux until I get the color I'm looking for. Think the smoke might make it harder to determine how far along the roux is?

Made some roux the other night but didn't take it past the peanut butter stage. Wife likes her gumbo light colored.

Am I the only one that uses the oil that comes from frying the sausages for making the roux?

Outstanding photo squence Woodman, and thanks for the tip on the hocks Thirdeye. Great to have both of you here.

Bigmista said:
Made some roux the other night but didn't take it past the peanut butter stage. Wife likes her gumbo light colored.

Am I the only one that uses the oil that comes from frying the sausages for making the roux?

Well, I used some oil leftover from making french fries the prevoius evening and some leftover bacon fat. The I'd use whatever fat was available!

I like leftover bacon or sausage oil, but I have been known to use olive oil when trying to cook a little healthier.

nmayeux said:
I like leftover bacon or sausage oil, but I have been known to use olive oil when trying to cook a little healthier.

That olive oil thing kind of blows my mind. It tastes good and is healthier than most other oils. Makes dang nice brown hash browned potatoes too.

Back