Wild turkey breast?

NOHENS

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I have goggled till im blue in the face! I have a wild turkey breast that is skinless. I also cut it in half but im cooking both tomorrow. Im going to inject it and rub it with sweet seduction then smoke it at 300 to a IT of around 160 then tent in foil. My question is does anyone have a estimated time for this? I am using my 18.5 WSM with a small apple chunk and KB. And does this sound right PROS!!!? Thanks in advance all. What say you?:bow:

I have no experience with a wild turkey breast, but a fatter skinless domestic breast not easy to cook just right. I hope someone with the answer pops in. I got nothin'.

Yeah.

I have no experience with a wild turkey breast, but a fatter skinless domestic breast not easy to cook just right. I hope someone with the answer pops in. I got nothin'.

I know...I will leave a probe in the middle of the breast and pull it before it gets dry? Just wondered approx times? It's one large turkey brest that I got last year. I always cut them in half in case i'm cooking for just me and the wife. But i'm going to smoke them both. So 1 large breast....cut in half.

I know...I will leave a probe in the middle of the breast and pull it before it gets dry? Just wondered approx times? It's one large turkey brest that I got last year. I always cut them in half in case i'm cooking for just me and the wife. But i'm going to smoke them both. So 1 large breast....cut in half.

I would leave it whole and wrap in in bacon if I had to do it with no further advice.

I was going to suggest marinating yourself with the Wild Turkey instead of the bird, but I see I made an incorrect assumption coming into this thread.

I'd say just cook it, but maybe someone has a lot of experience with some helpful tips.

No you didnt.

I was going to suggest marinating yourself with the Wild Turkey instead of the bird, but I see I made an incorrect assumption coming into this thread.

I'd say just cook it, but maybe someone has a lot of experience with some helpful tips.

I'm more of a beer drinker...but I always listen to your suggestions! I have fried it...and it is good like that luke duke. I Already cut in half so I cant do it whole? I was thinking of injecting....rubbing..then rapping each half up in twine and smoking at 300 till IT of 160 then resting? I would call each piece about 2 pounds? Was wondering approx. times?

I would inject with Butter and some seasoning and do a bacon wrap to keep her from drying out! might think about soaking her in Buttermilk to get some of that gameness out of her! my :hungry:

I like it!!!

Brine it!!! Soak a piece of cheese cloth in Butter and drape it over the breast, Pull it at 160 tent it and let it carryover to 165.

Any idea time at 300? I know till its 160....but....approx 2hrs 3hrs?

Brine it!!! Soak a piece of cheese cloth in Butter and drape it over the breast, Pull it at 160 tent it and let it carryover to 165.

Sounds like a winner there. Have only done a couple & first was batter & fry and the second was use it in gumbo. Haven't turkey hunted in several years, usually just get one when deer hunting.

Cube, marinate and fry.

1/2 cup Italian dressing
3/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup worsteshire sauce
1/4 cup wine vinegar
1/3 cup lemon juice
Let the turkey marinate for at least 8 hrs.

I have found that pulling chicken breasts at 150, foiling and letting it rest will keep it from going dry.

I know this is turkey but I think they might be the same when it comes to keeping them moist.

Real easy to fark up breast meat by letting them get up in the 160 range on the grill.

I use a thermapen to check my final temps.

I like em chickenfried. :)
Not sure how big the one you are doing is but I'd guestimate 2 hrs at the most.

I have not done one in a long while but I used to rub them with durkee turkey rub, wrap them in bacon, smoke in my old and sold gasser at 250 for two hours, them wrap with some butter for 2 hours and call it done. Now I would brine it, bacon weave it after a yardbird rubdown with maybe a few other flavors mixed in, hit it up on the 18.5 wsm or uds with lump and Wisconsin cherry, same temp and timeline. I would not use butter in the foil anymore, just maybe some chicken broth for a bit of moisture. This was for one side of the breast, not sure if thats what you meant by cut in half. the leftovers are great cubed then baked in wild rice with shredded chedder cheese, and peas.

I did a wild turkey breast back in January. What I did was butterflied the breast and pounded it flat. Seasoned with spices and added stuffing on top. Rolled it up and warped in bacon. We smoked for about 1 1/2 hours then wrapped in foil for 30 minutes and temp was 250. Came out great and not gamey.

I'm glad you asked this, I have two wild turkey breasts in the fridge from the in-laws and had no idea what to do with them. Sounds like everyone has some great ideas. Good thing I just bought a nice new meat pounder :pound:

Back