MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:28 PM   #46
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Looking mighty fine there! Do you have a rough estimate on what you have budgeted $$ for this build?
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #47
Pugsley
Knows what a fatty is.

Lookin' good TT. Can't wait to see smoke coming out.
jlm

Old 02-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #48
TTNuge
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
Looking mighty fine there! Do you have a rough estimate on what you have budgeted $$ for this build?
Rough estimate would be around $1500 for all materials. And I think I overpaid for the steel but I didn't really shop around and went for convenience instead.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #49
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

Still looking good

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #50
TTNuge
Full Fledged Farker

Door edges getting smoothed out....

Old 02-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #51
Redheart
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks like some quality work going into your clone. Thanks for sharing your progress.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #52
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Looking good. Keep in mind that you can always just cut it back apart if you weld something wrong. Trust me. I know this for a fact. Do it all the time. ;> I am like Ryan. I think I need to see this one in person sometime. Pretty cool that we have three minnesota folks all doing builds right now. Cold and not enough snow for snowmobiling. Ice on the lakes is questionable. So what's a guy to do? Fire up the welder of course.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:49 AM   #53
BGEMike
Got Wood.

Great build I probably shouldn't have looked but now I'm hooked. How did you come up with the dimensions for your build and what are you using for insulation? Are any drawings available or did you make your own. Thanks in advance for any help your build has inspired me.
BGEMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2012, 05:51 AM   #54
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Farkin awesome. Lookin really good so far!

I'm watchin fer sure!

Old 02-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #55
TTNuge
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGEMike View Post
Great build I probably shouldn't have looked but now I'm hooked. How did you come up with the dimensions for your build and what are you using for insulation? Are any drawings available or did you make your own. Thanks in advance for any help your build has inspired me.
I found a few previous builds out there that I roughly based mine on. I changed the dimensions and worked out the cuts on the sheet metal to get the most out of each sheet. I also wanted to make sure I could fit a full sized pan on the racks, it would have been nice to be able to fit 2 side by side but then it got quite a bit wider when you figure in air space between them also.

For insulation I used a roll of flexible ultra high temp ceramic insulation from McMaster-Carr. Max temp of 2000* and K-Factor of 0.65 @ 800° F.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #56
TTNuge
Full Fledged Farker

More progress today.

Rails and anti-tips are in. Very bottom rail is for the water pan I need to build yet but I wanted it removable/easy to slide out.

I only put the anti-tips on one side, do most people have them on both sides?

And the top panel is on.

Also smoothed out my doors a bit more and they are good enough for me now. And I found a local guy who can bend 5' sheets of metal so I am bringing him the skin for the outside next week to get bent. Once that and the bottom are on the only things left to fabricate are charcoal box, racks and water pan. Then mount the doors and paint it up!

Old 02-25-2012, 07:28 PM   #57
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

That is TIGHT!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2012, 07:59 PM   #58
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

That is looking fantastic! I need to come see this in person again soon.

The Beast: 500 Gallon Homemade Reverse Flow
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187401[/url]
Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2
speers90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #59
TTNuge
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks guys.

Another question. For those of you who have built your own racks do you miter the corners of the angle iron or just cut them straight and then notch one of the pieces to get em to mate up?

Old 02-25-2012, 08:13 PM   #60
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Cut and notch, unless you have a chop saw that can cut 45 degree angles

The Beast: 500 Gallon Homemade Reverse Flow
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187401[/url]
Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2
speers90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backwoods, build, clone, stumps, Superior