Good Place to Buy Ground Ancho Chile Powder?

Wesman61

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've fallen in love with making chili. The recipe I've been using calls for buying dried ancho chiles and grinding them in the food processor. Not too hard but it would be nice to be able to skip that step. Seems like there are plenty of places to buy California, guajillo and New Mexico chile powder but I never see the ancho available in powder form.

Good question. Ground Ancho used to be available in abundance here. I have not been able to find it for a couple of years. My recourse has been to buy the bags of dried Anchos and grind them at home.

I've fallen in love with making chili. The recipe I've been using calls for buying dried ancho chiles and grinding them in the food processor. Not too hard but it would be nice to be able to skip that step. Seems like there are plenty of places to buy California, guajillo and New Mexico chile powder but I never see the ancho available in powder form.

Try www.penderys.com they have ancho powder and whole dried pods.

I have a bottle in the cabinet from Mccormick's. I know their spices are a little pricey but I found local market that sells bulk spices for a fraction of the cost. Next time I'm there I will look to see if they carry it. I would have to agree that this chili powder is awesome and I use it my chili as well. It has smokey goodness! :thumb:Vince

Pendry's will have it , they have a large selection of chiles, ground and whole . I order about 3-4 lbs of various chile powders a year, as well as other spices from them . Good quality and fresh....

I have a bottle in the cabinet from Mccormick's. I know their spices are a little pricey but I found local market that sells bulk spices for a fraction of the cost. Next time I'm there I will look to see if they carry it. I would have to agree that this chili powder is awesome and I use it my chili as well. It has smokey goodness! :thumb:Vince
I have a bottle of McCormick's Chili Powder. I did a taste/smell test and it does seem to have a taste similar to ancho. I'll have to try it in my next pot of chili.

I can't find it around here either. I also buy dried chiles and grind them in the food processor. I toast them in the oven just a little bit before grinding.

i usually grind my own but we have little mexican grocerias in town that carry the powder for cheap.
I was planning to check the Mexican grocery stores as well. There is a huge Latino population here in The Boise area and lots of Latin markets. Of course that means lots of good Mexican food too!

I like stuff from Penzeys. I don't see a store in ID but you can always order online. Their stuff seems to be of good quality and decent prices.

I have ordered from the Chile Shop in Santa Fe for years. Outstanding quality and selection, (still mourning the loss of Rancho de Chimayo). Highly recommended:clap2:

Try www.penderys.com they have ancho powder and whole dried pods.

definitely a good place for a super selection of dried chiles that are still fresh.

if you ever get to ft worth stop by the penderys shop. it is in an old house packed with hundreds of dried / packaged chiles for sale. you will easily spend an hour there just walking around and looking at spices.

I second Penzey's. We haven them here in Wisconsin, but I used them for years via the internet when I lived in Florida. Always great service.

I have a bottle of McCormick's Chili Powder. I did a taste/smell test and it does seem to have a taste similar to ancho. I'll have to try it in my next pot of chili.

Look what I found. McCormick Ancho Chile Powder.
Cash & Carry has McCormick spices so I guess I need to stop by this week.

When I said I had a bottle that is what I was talking about ancho! The bottle I have is only like 1.6oz but I felt it was expensive. Tonight I went to the store to pick up a few things and in the Mexican food section they have 1-1/4 oz packages of this. Would you believe its only 99 cents a package! They did not have any in bulk that I could find but I figured I would share. Vince

Back