• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Regular customer, special request...

Jeff Hughes

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have a customer that I do at least 6 jobs(200 ppl plus) a year for. They have asked me to come to their main office and do a steak lunch for about 15 of their best customers.

This is more of a personal chef gig, and I have never done something this small. What would be a fair price?

I'm looking at this as a bit of a favor for a very good client.

As much as it may be a favor, your customer would spend good money to take these same customers out to lunch at a restaurant. Also your chance to be in front of potential "new" customers.

Come up with a menu and price accordingly based on your costs. I would suggest something a little upscale - Possibly plated and served (You'll need a couple of extra hands). Steak is just a little tricky do to because of preferences - Med rare, etc.

Would also talk with your customer to understand what/how they are trying to impress their guests - Is it a "thank you" lunch, is it a sales lunch, or a VIP event? Sell the value you bring to them by understanding their business and what they're trying to accomplish at this event with their customers. That's a bigger favor than a lesser price (to me).

If I was going to do this I would do whole tenderloins and slice them. This was you can get a few done temps out of the entire loin. This works out great. I would also give the option of two different traditional sauces, bearnaise and bordelaise. Serve it will a nice side of infused flavored potatoes (not garlic) and some nice fresh grilled vegetables. It is very hard to price this out for such a small party. I would set in your minimum take for the day plus your food cost. There is not much prep involved with my menu.

They are willing to pay for sure. They know they are asking me to do something where I will not make as much as a normal gig.

This is not something I have to sell, It's mine if I want it.

When I say "favor", I mean I am going to do something well below my standard minimum. I still want to make a fair buck, but I want them to see this a "thank you" to them for the business they give me.

I think I can cook, plate and serve myself, it will be a modified buffet. Steaks fresh of of the grill, with sides in chafers on a table between me and the grill.

I am thinking of 250.00 plus costs(food, fuel, etc...). This is not a price I would consider except for the circumstance.

If I was going to do this I would do whole tenderloins and slice them. This was you can get a few done temps out of the entire loin. This works out great. I would also give the option of two different traditional sauces, bearnaise and bordelaise. Serve it will a nice side of infused flavored potatoes (not garlic) and some nice fresh grilled vegetables. It is very hard to price this out for such a small party. I would set in your minimum take for the day plus your food cost. There is not much prep involved with my menu.

My thoughts exactly...

Even for a specialized event I would find out what the budget is. You can never go wrong being concerned for the customers pocketbook. They may be thinking "dry aged" meat or real Kobe and you would not want to disappoint. I like the idea above doing a whole filet(or other) so you can please all on the temps. I do an oven filet slathered with whole grain mustard, cracked pepper, sea salt and fresh thyme emulsified with evoo that is killer...served with chived creme fraiche.

Because they are thinking "steak", why not prime rib? One loin could feed all of your guests, and cooked properly, you could cook to have a variety of doneness throughout the rib roast. Served with grilled asparagus and a few upscale sides andappetizers. I'd bet Big Brother smoke could help you out right now, as he tends to cater "upscale" menus.

Tex is right on the prime rib. This gig has bacon wrapped Asparugus, garlic mashed potatoes all over it. Could Also do roasted red potatoes brushed olive oil s & p and fresh rosemary.

I would stay away from Garlic for lunch, a lot of people won't eat it because of the breath deal, just my opinion and past experience with clients.

roasted basil or rosemary potatoes. or even a plain old baked potato- familarity is always good.

sour cream &bacon scalloped or au graten taters on the pit.

Back