Newbie has questions about Smokers

I love my WSMs. Have thought about building a UDS, but I want to use my barrel to build a retort first.
To answer your other question, a WSM does not require mods out of the box, but you will find that you will want to add a thermometer to either the dome or the center section, and for a couple of bucks I'd add handles to the center section too. Also, pick up a charcoal grate from an 18.5 inch Weber kettle to place on the stock WSM charcoal grate (turned 90 degrees) as it helps to keep charoal from falling into the ash bowl too soon.

As far as a smoker goes I think it all depends on what you are looking for since you have the 2 electric smokers and are looking to possibly play with fire a Bandera might be what you are looking for. If you still want a more hands off smoker than a WSM or UDS might be right up your alley.

By the way I have a Bandera that I am selling if you are interested shoot me a PM.

Here is a link to some pictures of it http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33853&highlight=Bandera

Last edited:
My issues with building a UDS is that I once built a Cyclone Dust Collector (for my other hobby woodworking), and althought it works great, I would not wish that level of effort on anyone.

:mrgreen: Sorry, but I'm kind of laughing here. Anyone else sense any contradiction here? I love working with tools, but I don't want to work with tools? :rolleyes:

Maybe I misunderstood and it's not the tool part, it was the detailed design and working through issues to get the dust collector to work at optimum performance. If so, the UDS should be a breeze in comparison.

Either way, no offense - just wondering if anyone else got a chuckle out of that.

You could buy a WSM for $200-220 even with free shipping if you look hard enough.
On your budget you could do both. The WSM certainly isn't a default smoker. I love mine. Great smoker, efficient as hell, and makes some great Q. You won't regret it.

:mrgreen: Sorry, but I'm kind of laughing here. Anyone else sense any contradiction here? I love working with tools, but I don't want to work with tools? :rolleyes:

Maybe I misunderstood and it's not the tool part, it was the detailed design and working through issues to get the dust collector to work at optimum performance. If so, the UDS should be a breeze in comparison.

Either way, no offense - just wondering if anyone else got a chuckle out of that.

Its the metal I don't like to work with. Don't much like working with really hard woods either. (purpleheart is a pain to work with, splinters like metal)

As far as a smoker goes I think it all depends on what you are looking for since you have the 2 electric smokers and are looking to possibly play with fire a Bandera might be what you are looking for. If you still want a more hands off smoker than a WSM or UDS might be right up your alley.

By the way I have a Bandera that I am selling if you are interested shoot me a PM.

Here is a link to some pictures of it http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33853&highlight=Bandera
I'll buy your bandera from you. I sent you a PM.

Wow! What a comprehensive thread! We have hookups via PM and Bandera's being sold :-D

CrackerJack... Lots to think about. I haven't built a UDS yet but it's on my list of things to do. I have two WSMs, an Egg and a large Good One smoker. I use them all depending on my mood and what I want to cook. If I am cooking for a party or to restock the freezer then the Good One get fired up since it can hold a ton of food (I've done three butts, two packers, four fatties, a pan of beans, abts, cheesy bread and 9 slabs of ribs at once and had room left. For long cooks it's either the WSM or the Egg (probably the Egg since it is new :-D) and for grilling it's the Egg. I'd suggest that you look at how much you want to cook at one time and how much time you want to spend doing it. Both the UDS and the WSM fit your budget and both are easy to use. The WSM is a proven entity so it may be a better place to start. The UDS has been used successfully by a lot of Brethren, but it can take some tuning to get it right. It just depends on how much tinkering you want to do.

With all parts in hand a UDS can be built in less than two hours.

`Clean drum with lid
`4 stainless nuts,washers and bolts
`grill
`hand drill and bit. step drill bit or hole saw
`Ball valve

It really is that easy unless like me you want to do it on the fun/cheap side and try and find as many parts for free as you can .

You can't go wrong giving it a try and for very little money if it's not for you then no real money has been lost and you can turn the drum into a recycle bin for your wood cut offs.

I ain't gonna have nothing ugly in my back yard, front yard, or anywhere else if I can help it, unless it's my truck or my dead grass from the drought. A UDS is not for this boy and besides I have not seen where they are very versatile anyway. If you had one wouldn't you also need a good grill?

I'm thinking of trying the UDS. I'm looking for plans. Where can i find plans?

Crackerjack, don't worry about the UDS thing. My 10 year old son will be building one this weekend, a tribute to the ease of construction. Get Norcoredneck's pdf on the build. It is super comprehensive, and is proven in battle.

I have grilled some of the best steaks ever known to man on my UDS. Not to mention Brauts, burgers and dogs.

O.K., when you take the top off of it and peek down in there at your meat and stuff, do you get your eye brows singed or what? Hey if they work - po it on, I'm all for it as long as it's not going to be me with one.

Back