MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:36 PM   #31
aawa
Babbling Farker

Don't fight the cooker. If it wants to settle in at 250ish and snuffs out at 215 degrees, cook at 250ish. You can put out great BBQ cooking hotter than 225. I regularly cook at 300-325 and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference if I gave you a plate of bbq cooked at 225 and some cooked at 300.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #32
tgstrang
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmseeley View Post
Well, got it up and running for my first real cook with it today. Doing a pork butt, for pulled pork bbq tomorrow.

It has been real tough keeping temps. I did bend the latches a bit to get it a little tighter.

The problem for me has been keeping it low. Between 250- 260 no problem, but try for 215, and I just keep snuffing the fire out. The way this is going I am either going to have a real long night, or throw this but in the electric till its done.

Chris
I never smoke that low on mine (it takes to damn long too). Like others said let it settle in where it does. Youll produce damn good Que at those temps. Mine will usually settle in between 230-250 no problem. A very small adjustment will go along way on the Akorn so you have to be careful when doing so. When i smoke on mine i'll have the intake is barely cracked...sometimes like only a 1/4 in to 1/2 gap open and the exhaust is barely open at all (i set it about halfway between fully closed and the 1 setting, sometimes on the 1 setting depending on the cook). I do the volcano method with wood chunks barried in the lump. A couple of cooks and youll have the grill figured out.

I'm Thomas, friends call me T
tgstrang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2014, 04:09 PM   #33
bandityo
On the road to being a farker

I have an Akorn as well and love it! 250 is just fine to do your butts at man...don't sweat it.

David

Old 04-19-2014, 04:11 PM   #34
Whitewookie
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Yeah, there are definitely a couple of "quality issues". Having said that though, I think for the money It will definitely serve my needs just fine.
The bitching wasn't about the Char-Griller, it was about the ceramics...
Whitewookie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #35
cmseeley

Just had to relight it again... I see what I am doing wrong now... The ash is starving the rest of the fire out by blocking the air paths. Moved some stuff around we shall see what happens now.

Chris
cmseeley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2014, 05:46 PM   #36
tgstrang
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Just had to relight it again... I see what I am doing wrong now... The ash is starving the rest of the fire out by blocking the air paths. Moved some stuff around we shall see what happens now.

Chris
What kind of lump are you using?

I'm Thomas, friends call me T
tgstrang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2014, 07:01 PM   #37
cmseeley

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgstrang View Post
What kind of lump are you using?
I just had to relight it again... this is insane.

It is frontier brand. They had it at sams club.

I guess at this point, I am going to let it run hotter, otherwise I will be up all night babysitting this.

Maybe I just don't know what I am doing when it comes to low and slow over charcoal...

Chris

Old 04-19-2014, 07:32 PM   #38
Drunk Monkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drunk Monkey

It always takes a little time to learn a new pit. Be patient and you will figure it out.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:34 PM   #39
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Well, got it up and running for my first real cook with it today. Doing a pork butt, for pulled pork bbq tomorrow.

It has been real tough keeping temps. I did bend the latches a bit to get it a little tighter.

The problem for me has been keeping it low. Between 250- 260 no problem, but try for 215, and I just keep snuffing the fire out. The way this is going I am either going to have a real long night, or throw this but in the electric till its done.

Chris
I don't see the problem then Cuz 275* is a Great all around BBQ Temp for everything. Most of my stuff is 300*ish (+/- 10*) on charcoal n wood chunks ( UDS,Cabinet and Kettle) and 260-275*ish in the Bandera Stickburner.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:47 PM   #40
cmseeley

Well Its all done. Pulled it at 200. Turned out better than I thought it would. After that last re-light, I kept it between 270 and 300. I guess that is what I should have done to start with instead of shooting for 215. I guess I just thought 215 was the "sweet spot" temp to keep.

I might just get one of those PID temp draft controllers and see what it can do for the lower temps. And then maybe I will trust it for an overnight cook?

At least this time when I went away from it for too long the temp was going low instead of shooting up.

Chris

Old 04-19-2014, 09:48 PM   #41
cmseeley

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
I don't see the problem then Cuz 275* is a Great all around BBQ Temp for everything. Most of my stuff is 300*ish (+/- 10*) on charcoal n wood chunks ( UDS,Cabinet and Kettle) and 260-275*ish in the Bandera Stickburner.
Thats what I should have done in the first place. 275 - 300.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:49 AM   #42
tnfan47
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Well Its all done. Pulled it at 200. Turned out better than I thought it would. After that last re-light, I kept it between 270 and 300. I guess that is what I should have done to start with instead of shooting for 215. I guess I just thought 215 was the "sweet spot" temp to keep.

I might just get one of those PID temp draft controllers and see what it can do for the lower temps. And then maybe I will trust it for an overnight cook?

At least this time when I went away from it for too long the temp was going low instead of shooting up.

Chris
I would atleast master how to control temp by adjusting the vents first before purchasing a controller.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:37 PM   #43
Sumpwitch
Found some matches.

I am a rookie, but I'll throw out my .02

I bought my Akorn about 4 months ago. I cook on it 3-4 times a week and love it. I definitely think the brand of lump makes a difference.
When I use Royal Oak (red bag), I can lock in around 225-235 and my vents are barely open. Less than 1 on the bottom and just a trickle at the top. I've done a couple 10 hour butts with no problems.
Right now, I am using Chigger Creek Sweet & Smokey. It wants to be in the 240s and the vents are way more open. Bottom at close to 2 and top at 1. If I try to lower the temp with this lump, it will snuff. So I just roll with it in the 40s.
Going forward I am going to use the RO for low and slow and the Chigger for pizzas and hot cooks. (Reason being: there actually seems to be a flavor difference with the pizzas using the Chigger. I tend to get into the grape while doing pizzas though, so maybe it doesn't even make a difference and it's all in my mind.)
Sumpwitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2014, 02:27 PM   #44
cmseeley

Just for an FYI, I did end up calling Char-Griller on the damaged lid just to see what they would do. I really didn't think they would do anything just because I knowingly bought it damaged, and received a pretty good discount because of that. At the request of the CSR I emailed them pictures and a copy of my receipt. I just got a notice from UPS that something is at my door, from A & J Manufacturing. At 30lb, I bet it is a new lid!!!

I have grilled on this thing almost every day since I got it, and love it, even with the bent up lid and seal. I have actually thought about selling my gas grills.

I also have some gasket material to seal up the bottom a bit more.

For the money, this cooker kicks ass!!!

I think even the wife loves it, lol.

Chris