MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-17-2006, 12:09 PM   #16
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Fark this! It sounds a little too skeevy for me to try. I think I will settle for plain old unaged beef. Yuk.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2006, 12:40 PM   #17
seth711
Knows what a fatty is.

I have been waiting for a thread like this so that I can share some info on Dry-Aging beef at home. The method I use will cost about 150 dollars in specialized equipment and access to an extra freezer. I brew beer as another hobby and had most of this stuff lying around. This will produce commercial quality dry-aged beef that is sooooooo damn delicious. Here is a parts list of what is needed.
Clean out the entire freezer with bleach and sanitize everything. Hook up temperature controller and adjust the temp for 36 degrees. Hook humidifier, filled with distilled water to the humidity controller and set your humidity for 83%. Set an oscillating fan at each end for good airflow around where you will be placing the meat. Figure out what you will be placing your meat on as far as a rack. There needs to be even airflow around the cut of beef so a thin wire rack works best. Allow the system to run for a few days to monitor all settings and make proper adjustments. When ready, place your primal cut of meat on the wire shelves and allow to dry-age for 3-6 weeks. You will start to see some discoloration on the fat cap, this is normal and can be butchered off before cutting the primal into steaks. ONLY DRY AGE PRIMAL CUTS, CHOICE OR ABOVE WITH THICK FAT CAPS. This must always be your number one indicator of meat to dry-age. The thick fat cap allows the meat to age without being exposed to air thus spoiling the meat. My favorite cut to age is the short loin as it provides strips and the tenderloin. After removing from your home made locker be sure and butcher off the hard layer on the outside until you get to the nice colored meat inside. If you see red meat that has turned brown in small spots this can be butchered off if close to the fat cap. Dry-Aging isn’t for everyone but if you have tried a properly dry aged steak, the experience is next to orgasmic….. I will be glad to answer any questions you might have.
seth711 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2006, 01:03 PM   #18
ciret
Full Fledged Farker

ya got any pics of your set-up? sounds kind of interesting, but would take some space to setup.

Modded Brinkmann Smoke King Deluxe, UDS, Brinkman gasser

A health family, a healthy country, a healthy world -- all grow outward from a single superior person.
Chia Jen/The Clan --I Ching
ciret is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2006, 01:08 PM   #19
seth711
Knows what a fatty is.

Ya, I can take some pics next week as we are comepting in IA this weekend.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:11 PM   #20
ciret
Full Fledged Farker

OK, cool, I've heard good thing about dry aged beef. Seems like there was an article about some fancy restaurant that had a huge room in the basement where they aged 100's of lbs at a time.

Modded Brinkmann Smoke King Deluxe, UDS, Brinkman gasser

A health family, a healthy country, a healthy world -- all grow outward from a single superior person.
Chia Jen/The Clan --I Ching
ciret is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2006, 02:45 PM   #21
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I think I'll stick to how I've been doing it over the years... buy my beef by the half (carcass, that is), and have it dry aged before I get it. :)

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2006, 09:30 PM   #22
JohnMcD348
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqjoe
I don't believe I have ever specifically ordered anything that was touted as dry aged, although it may have been.
I did once complain about some very nasty tasting meat once in a restaurant.
The cook came out and told me it was dry aged on the premisis, and there was nothing wrong with it.
Well if I couldn't eat it there was something wrong.
No compensation.
Never went back.
I had a similar issue at one of our local steak houses not too long ago. My wife and my son who's 2 years old, nearly three went to this place we've gone too many times before and gotten fair to average service. We ordered the special and got the steak cubes for our son. Our steaks were done exactly how we asked. My sons steak kobob was sent back twice to be recooked. The first time we got the food his was runny raw in the middle and cold. We sent it back. We got it back and this time, it was still nearly as red but this time I had to squeeze it to get the "juices" to come out. We asked for the manager and that SOB got cocky with me. I had to stand my ground at that point and got in his face and educated him on the proper cooking practices and handling of meat. Yes the steak would have been perfect if I were the one eating it but NOT for my 2 year old son. I told him that there was no guarantee that the meat even got hot enough internally to kill the bacteria. He asured me the mat was not raw. I squeezed a piece of the meat in from of him and the blood shot out onto his shirt. I asked him if that was a pecial suace they injected their meat with becuase it D@^n sure looked like "farking" blood to me. I then asked him if he even knew what the safe temperature for the cooking and handling of meat was and he couldn't give me an answer. Thanks to the food handling threads over the past months, I was able to give to him as soon as he hesitated. We were asked to leave and not be bothered with the bill. Needless to say, we won't be going back there.

We sleep peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm.......G. Orwell

Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe, The Famous StudeDera, Weber Smokey Joe Gold and Platinum, Brinkman Professional Grill, Brinkman ECB and 2 Weber Smoky Mountians
JohnMcD348 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2006, 10:52 PM   #23
seth711
Knows what a fatty is.

Wow.... LOL.... LOL.....

That has to be one of the best stories I have heard in a long time... :) HAHAH I can just see you squeezing it and the blood flying everywhere, lecturing him on the safe temperatures of food!! Classic, for sure.... I have had a few tonight so I please disregard any odd writing...

The flavor of dry-aged beef is something amazing. Over time there is a 20% loss in weight due to water evaporation, which then concentrates that beefy flavor we all love. You also have lots of natural enzymes breaking down tissue slowly and allowing the meat to become incredibly tender. There is a noticeably less amount of juice in a dry aged steak, but each one I have had has been so damn tender and plenty juicy. Most all fine steak houses these days wet age their steaks, only a few use the lost art of dry aging. Although wet aged steaks do have the same great tenderness levels as a dry aged steak wet aged steaks can never match the concentration of beef flavor and intensity that a dry aged steak provides. Everyone that eats beef needs to try a Dry aged steak before casting opinions; it’s something truly amazing...

Last edited by seth711; 08-17-2006 at 11:17 PM..

Old 08-18-2006, 02:57 AM   #24
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Ok interest is up. Checking the funds and hopefully a "lovely dinner date out" with the wife. Please don't tell her of my real motivation for the night out!

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2006, 06:42 AM   #25
NorthernQ
On the road to being a farker

Never thought much about dry aging at home. We have 2 local butchers and a small abattoir who all dry age evrything they sell. I had to order in some extra beef a while back for a cater and was forced to use cryovac product...... no comparison!
The dry aged had real flavour; the cryovac tasted like cardboard.
A friend of mine locally, another caterer, dry ages everything he uses in his walk-in cooler, game included. Nothing like dry aged moose.
The size of a walk-in gives the air circulation needed to dry age properly without fans and such. The larger the cut you age; the lower the shrinkage loss. Hanging a side or a full beef gives you the best yield.

Great thread!
Crown Verity gasser
Little gasser
Meco bullet, CharGriller
Refrigerator shelf, pile of rocks, stack of wood
Former Klose owner (sob)
NorthernQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2006, 11:13 AM   #26
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Just to add my two cents to this thread, I have ALWAYS dry aged our Christmas Prime Rib and have had very good results in doing so. What I have done is placed the prime in a baking pan with a V-rack to catch any drippings. I have let it sit in the fridge for seven to ten days, uncovered. I then take it out shave any dry pieces off and then put the rub on and place it on the smoker. Ive also done this with steaks with good results.

Also Bobby Flay did a deal on his boy meets grill on 8/17/06 on prime rib and went to a New York butcher and picked up some dry aged rib eye and the butcher talked about the dry age process using slabs of dry aged beef that were up on top of the counter, it was interesting. From my experience it has always been a positive one with dry aging.

Bossman
[email protected]
Bossmanbbq is offline   Reply With Quote