SoCal Bash Saturday Sept 21! Head count starts HERE. Post if you are coming! ALL Brethren Welocme!

I'm in! Sorry I couldn't make it to gtr's place last weekend. Life got crazy for me.

I'll be bringing the ABTs. I'm thinking of making a few "special" ABTs using scallops and habaneros. However, I might be the only one who eats them...

You had me at scallops OR habaneros

I'm tempted to bring my new little Santa Maria tailgater pit and do a couple of tri tips (measures about 12"x10"). I'll bring some beverages and lump at any rate.

Who likes what kind of beer?

Beer would be great - I'd say there's probably two beer camps at this bash, one would be the lager type folks, so Heineken, Stella, or something similar would be fine, and then the ale crowd, Sierra Nevada and IPA's.

I'll be making sausage and pulled pork. I have a bunch of paper plates and napkins as well as plastic forks and knives I can bring. Lemme know if I should bring a table or propane stove as well as cookers that might be needed.

Just a couple weeks off - looking forward to it! :clap2:

Count me in. Already have it on the calendar. You want me to do Brisket or Pastrami?

For Deguerre:

My Mac & Cheese "2.5" recipe:

Cheese Mix*

1/2 stick butter** (4T)
1 1/4 C Milk
1t Kosher Salt
1/8t Nutmeg
1/8t cayenne pepper
1/2 lb Elbow macaroni
1/4C Flour
2 1/4C Panko Bread Crumbs***

Tip: While the oven is heating up, start the water for the macaroni on to boil. The macaroni and the cheese roux/sauce should be ready just before the macaroni is, making the dish go faster.

Heat oven to 375 F

Butter 1 1/2Qt casserole dish

Melt 1T butter and sautee the panko bread crumbs. Set them aside.

Heat milk in a saucepan. You don't want this to boil, though

Melt remaining butter. When it bubbles, add flour and stir 1 minute (you should have a roux at this point).

SLOWLY pour the heated milk into the roux. Whisk it until it bubbles and thickens.

Stir in salt, pepper, nutmeg, and cayenne, 2 1/4c of the cheese mix. Set this aside.

Cook the pasta 2-3 short of the time on the package.

Drain and rinse under COLD water. Stir the macaroni into the cheese roux/sauce.

Pour cheese and macaroni mixture into the casserole dish.

Sprinkle remaining cheese mix on top.

Sprnkle bread crumbs on top.

Bake for 30 minutes

** If you use mizithra*** cheese, you might want to use unsalted butter.
*** You can always find this at an Asian market, but some non-Asian markets carry it.

* Cheese mix:

1/2 oz Mild Cheddar
1/2 oz Gruyere
1/2 oz Asiago
1/2 oz Parmesan
1/2 oz Romano
4 oz Pepper Jack
4 oz Sharp Cheddar
2 1/2 oz mizithra***

Here is the top view: It didn't last long enough for pics inside.

MacandCheese.jpg

Oh crap my pants you farkers are planning a no holds barred great pArTy and I chose the week to mtbike in Utah..... mtnbiking sucks in the mud and that's all they have now unless it stops raining in Hurricane, Utah! Even worse, must haul my own suds as Utah is scarce on the quality post ride hydration ingredient.

Next Bash I'm in fo sho.....~!~!

So my best friend and gathering veterans Chris and his GF Brandy will be coming, and another friend of mine, Michael, should be attending.

BTW, are any of you "Sons of Anarchy" fans?

I sure wish that I could make the easy drive down from the Bay Area but my Daughter's softball tournament beckons that weekend. Maybe the next! Enjoy gang.

Here's the head count so far...

So this is the head count so far:

Moose +1
gtr
Big Mista
Enkidu+3
Caseydog +1
Smokin John
SoCalWJS

Undecided/not confirmed yet:

Big Ace
Silverfinger
Icbateman

We need more Brethren at this bash!

The missus and I shall be there. Thinking wings and possibly another dish. Sara well make a desert as well

Chris, the official arrival time is between 2-3pm. Will you be coming?

Is that when the cooking starts? I want to cook with you farkers.

I'm going to try to bring some fresh herbs with me, if the TSA will allow it. Oregano, rosemary, thyme and basil -- harvested on Friday. Can you get good tomatoes out there now? Maybe a little Insalata Caprese for a snack?

CD

Is that when the cooking starts? I want to cook with you farkers.

I'm going to try to bring some fresh herbs with me, if the TSA will allow it. Oregano, rosemary, thyme and basil -- harvested on Friday. Can you get good tomatoes out there now? Maybe a little Insalata Caprese for a snack?

CD

Tomatoes probably won't be good in the stores, but if you're near a farmer's market you can get great ones - beefsteaks, heirlooms, etc. They won't be cheap but they are fantastic. You can try looking here for a market.

If you want killer burrata (or at least what I understand to be killer burrata) check out Surfa's. Call to make sure they have it as it runs out, but go there anyway 'cause it's a great place to lose your farking mind on cooking stuff, be it gear, spices, sauces, oils, vinegars, whatever.

I'll be bringing a resting pork butt (and the attendant buns/slaw/sauces). I was thinking of doing 2, but I imagine there'll be a deluge of grub - if anybody sees a reason for me to cook a second one I'll be more than happy to. I hope to come early and stay late, but I can't be there for the amount of time it takes to cook a pork butt, at least not in time to serve it at a decent hour.

I will be cooking up some sausages there - most likely on the open pit. I'm thinking hot links and kielbasa - y'all like sauteed onions? I'm guessing it wouldn't hurt to bring a lemon icebox pie.

No portion control on the 21st! :whoo:

So this is the head count so far:

Moose +1
gtr
Big Mista
Enkidu+3
Caseydog +1
Smokin John
SoCalWJS

Undecided/not confirmed yet:

Big Ace
Silverfinger
Icbateman

We need more Brethren at this bash!

I'll be a "+1" :thumb:

Shaping up to be A LOT of food. My wife wants to bring a dessert and I'll bring some beverages.

I'll be a "+1" :thumb:

Shaping up to be A LOT of food. My wife wants to bring a dessert and I'll bring some beverages.

Great. I'll update the list and thanks for the heads up.

At this point, we probably have enough sides and dessert to feed 3-4x our actual crowd. What we really need right now is cookers, charcoal, and beverages! Currently all we have is a 22 OTS and the firepit and that won't be enough...

Great. I'll update the list and thanks for the heads up.

At this point, we probably have enough sides and dessert to feed 3-4x our actual crowd. What we really need right now is cookers, charcoal, and beverages! Currently all we have is a 22 OTS and the firepit and that won't be enough...
I can throw in a Jumbo Joe and my little "Tailgater" Santa Maria pit (I think it's 10"x12") easily enough.
I always have bags of RO, Kingsford Competition Briquettes, and California Hotwood on hand along with Oak and Mesquite chunks...
I'll bring a case or so of a variety of beers on ice along with some soda pop.

Back