MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:56 PM   #46
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

The Thermapen changed my BBQ world. To answer your question, YES.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->

Old 04-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #47
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfinger View Post
Good purchas! I use mine all the time. Great for poltry, beef, pork. When was the last time you overcooked chicken breast or a whole chicken? This will never happen again with your thermapen. Nothing worse then a dry chicken breast. Get the weber app on your phone if possable. It will give you the correct temps for all meat at the push of a button. My wife discovered my new toy and now she wants her own.
Chicken is exactly what has been driving me crazy.

Getting that balance between perfect internal temps but crispy skin has been maddening.

Steaks are going to be much more consistent, too........I hope. I have the marinade & rub nailed down perfectly, but often buy steaks of varying thickness or have requests for different "done-ness". A fast and accurate therm probing sounds perfect for the high temp action. No time to mess around at 650 degrees.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:25 PM   #48
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

It came a day earlier than expected!!!!!

I went with the NINJA black.

No direct use today, as I'm doing ribs.

Beer's ice cold, though....

I also bought an ear therm. The flu wiped out my family earlier this year....coulda used it bigtime then.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #49
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

I don't own a Thermapen, so no, they are NOT really that good.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #50
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

Can't wait to hear the report on the Thermapen. I have been using the Thermoworks RT600C until it breaks. Been using mine for almost 2 years and still going strong.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2013, 03:14 PM   #51
Ackman
Full Fledged Farker

I love mine, even have one I keep in the kitchen. What I though was funny, at my first competition at meat inspection, after seeing the meat they asked to see the washing bins, fire extinguisher and specifically my Thermo-pen, not my thermometer but my Thermo-pen
WSM 18"
CookShack SM025
Lang 36
BWS Extended Party
Humphrey's Battle Box and matching Pint
Ackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #52
jkolantern
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

You're going to love it. My gf had mine for a couple of days and I had no idea how much I missed it until it was back.

I waited for the open box special. I think that's like $70?
jkolantern is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2013, 12:52 PM   #53
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

I just read through this thread and inbetween pages 3&4 I ordered one!
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #54
Mdboatbum
Full Fledged Farker

This thread almost convinced me to order one.
ANOTHER one.
Yeah, they're that good. Fast, accurate, dead simple and durable. How many things can you say that about? I use mine for all sorts of things I'd never have thought of. Making bread? I use it to check that the water temp's 110˚-118˚ for blooming my yeast. Using my French Press? I use it to make sure the water has come down to 200˚ to avoid scorching the coffee. Same with brewing tea.
I use it for checking the temp on Hollandaise sauce so I don't get it too hot and curdle the eggs. I use it to check cakes. No more "insert toothpick, and if it comes out clean..." I shoot for 208˚-210˚. Bread, I shoot for 197˚-200˚. Perfect Salmon? Pull it off the fire at 140˚. You'll never have dry crumbly salmon again. Is that fried chicken REALLY done in the middle? Never a problem anymore. Well done steak? Not in this house. With the Thermapen I get them perfectly mid rare every time.
Want your Stout at a perfect cellar temperature? Pour it and let it sit on the counter until it's 50˚.
Is your wife really freezing, or is she just whining for the sake of interrupting your favorite TV show? Offer to "temp her" with the Thermapen just to make sure. She'll sit there quietly for the rest of the evening.
Mdboatbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #55
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Mdboatbum.....great range of uses......'Celt for the wife part. I may get put in the doghouse for that.