Weird OTG fire...

this happened to me when i was a beginner in bbq-i think like what bigabyte posted you

got a build up of fatty oils and was not aware of it,thats why its important to clean the

smoker and grill after use. i use goggles and a steamer after i clean out the ashes a day

later-you have to watch out for coals tht can still be active in the ashes-i have had coals

still hot two day after i bbqed!

if you cook fatty meats like lamb or ribs untrimmed like i do its important to clean everything

also you should have a fire extinguisher near by the grill! i hope this helps

http://thebarbecuemaster.net

Last edited by a moderator:
Caked-on drippings from doing orange marmalade sriracha chicken wings can cause a fire like that, and in the ash catcher as well. I've had that happen to me a few times.

I have no idea what you are talking about ?

kettlefire4.jpg

Just a old grease fire, need to scrape the grease build up on the inside of the bowl.

Have had that happen before also. The blades never really clean or scrape all the way down to the metal. As grease drips and the ash settles on it, it hardens and creates a layer of ash and grease. Since I mostly bank the coals, the side of the bowl directly under the meat has a thicker build up of grease and that's when I get those fires. It starts at the bottom and the flames creep up the side of the bowl until all the crud is burned off. What I do know is rotate where I put the coals. That way, the coals will help burn off the crud and I don't get the thick build up. I also give the bowl a good scrap down once in a while. You'd be suprised and the amount of build up that is there regardless of cleaning blades. I've had the fire under the bowl where the vents and handle are at too.
For those of you with the regular ash pans, keep those clean. I've had coals make their way to the ash pan and start a fire there due to grease build up.

Good looking Shrimp! How long did you cook them with that big of a fire:biggrin1:

Chems leaching out of the briqs into the grill?!? :twisted: I've never had lump do that! :boxing:

I have been cooking on the same charcoal for 15 years, so I don't think that is the cause.

Lump snob. :becky:

CD

so what I got out of this is that you can safely go ~14 1/2 years before you need to clean out your kettle and change charcoal...or did I miss something? :noidea:

Look, I'm sure his kettle works fine. It's just not up to the task as he wants to perform it.

Now then, who's going to be the first to send CD a PM to get a free kettle? I'm pretty sure he's switching to campfires from now on. None of this high-tech kettle nonsense.

Had the exact same thing happen a few months back. I grabbed another beer and went........Oooh, Wow, Yeah. Still don't Know what it was

Haven't had that happen to me yet. Thanks for sharing. I think I might take a hard look at mine the next time I have it out. Maybe I'll think about cleaning it.

Back