MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
Mr Baloo
Got Wood.

Default New Jambalaya Pot is really rough

First, I apologize if this doesn't fit here... but I didn't know where else to go... Yeah I know, what a lost soul I am.... but here is my question.

This aint Que, but I is outdoor cooking..... hope someone can help.

I have a new 15 gallon cast iron jambalaya pot. I cooked the wax coating off of it and seasoned it. However, the cast iron just seems to be rough. Not talking rough as in needs more seasoning, I am not new to cast iron skillets, but this is pebbley rough.

Should I take a grinder and flap disc to it to smooth it out and then re-season it?

I have only cooked in it one time and it didn't stick too bad... but it sure isn't smooth like my skillet. Thanks for the advice.

Baloo

Old 02-14-2013, 10:26 PM   #2
BayoustateBBQ
On the road to being a farker

hmmm, most I have seen are smooth like a wok and I live in cajun country. Some of the cheaper casts could be rough, I'm not sure what brand you have or how much you paid for it. Do not take a grinder or flap disk to it as any deeper scratches can collect food and cause sticking. Any pic by any chance.
[SIZE=3][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I]"[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=Black]R[/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I][COLOR=Black][FONT=Trebuchet MS]eal men like their Pork[/FONT] [/COLOR]Pulled"[/I][/COLOR][/B] [/SIZE]:peace:
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153581"]How to smoke a 14 lb tender brisket in 4 hours![/URL][/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
BayoustateBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2013, 10:45 PM   #3
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have had a couple like that. They do wear in eventually, with enough scrubbing the surface evens up. My solution has just been to use a lot of bacon fat when browning things.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2013, 10:56 PM   #4
gtr

Is there anything bacon fat can't do?
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-15-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
Fatback Joe
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Is there anything bacon fat can't do?
I have yet to find a way for it to help me loose weight.

I have a pot that was like that too. The inside smoothed out but the outside is still bumpy. Seems like I never got the wax off (although I think I did) that was kind of always in the back of my mind. I have had it for 5 or 6 years now, probably use an average of 2 times a month and it works just fine.....it is just bumpy on the outside.

It still bugs me a bit, but not enough to do anything about it.

WSM
Medium Spicewine
Stumps GF223
Humphrey's GF Tank II
24 x 60 Shirley Fabrication
Fatback Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #6
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

I have a lodge cast iron skillet that came pre-seasoned with a bit of a smooth, pebbly surface on the inside. I re-seasoned it and have been using it quite a bit for the past two years. It is as non-stick as the best of my smooth surface ones.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #7
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

I agree on not using power tools. Some plain old rough sandpaper will do the job.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
Mr Baloo
Got Wood.

Thanks guys.... I bought this thing in a rush when LSU was in the championship game last time, I say "in" the championship game cause they sure did do anything in it.... anyway, normally I take my time and research and ask a lot of questions to those that know before I buy anything, but rushed it in this case.

I will do some minimal sanding on it... to see what I can do... then spend a few days pre-seasoning it....

This is a big benefit for a local charity and the YMCA who have done a lot good things in our community, so wanting to make a good show.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #9
toddrod
On the road to being a farker

You can take a grinder, with a sanding wheel on it, and sand the inside smooth. I have done this with a regular cast iron pot. Then just reseason, or the best way I have found is to fry something in it. Fish, chicken, cracklins. It does not matter.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
Grain Belt
is one Smokin' Farker

Agree with toddrod on the light grind and seasoning method. Even though I am a yankee, I still like some deep fried fish, pickles, and onion rings in my cast iron while cooking over a nice bed of hardwood coals. I have always admired the outdoor cooking that goes on in Louisiana. Hope your pot makes some good chow!
Grain Belt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #11
Southstar Jeff
Full Fledged Farker

The old school cast iron was machined to be smooth. I have several old Wagner pieces that you can easily see the machine marks. I would definitely smooth by whatever method you have available, then season.
Smokey Joe Silver
RecTec
Southstar Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote