MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
LADawg
Found some matches.

Default Beef Ribs ?

I come asking for HELP……. I have never cooked and Beef Ribs. I'm not talking about Beef Short Ribs, rather Beef Back Ribs. This week Publix had them on sale and for the price I thought I would give a try at cooking some of 'em. The package I bought are trimmed up nice, but do have some fat so I know that I need to keep this for flavor.
I think I will make a rub using about 2 Teaspoons Paprika, 1/2 Teaspoon each Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Black Pepper, and Salt. Rub them down good with this and put them on my WSM at about 250° for 5 to 6 hours. I will use a rib rack when cooking them.
My question is what changes should I make to the rub, and is this about the correct cooking temperature and time??????
LADawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
Porcine Perfection
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : ...

Found this video as I was searching for a recipe on beef ribs that I bought from, that's right, Walmart!

I guess I can give them to the bassets.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #4
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

If you are lucky, you might get enough for one person out of them. If you cook them right, they are tasty just not much there but bones. Your dog will love you.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #5
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Reading your original post, 5-6 hours is gonna be way too long. They cook faster than pork. I always have good intentions making beef ribs but I usually regret the end product.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #6
BobM
Babbling Farker

I have tried beef plate (short) ribs before and was not happy with how they came out. I bought a package of beef back ribs today, which I'm going to make tomorrow or Thursday.

I hope I do better with these.

Bob
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #7
Boshizzle

Here is how I cook beef ribs and they always turn out delicious. Two hours at about 290* then wrap for another two hours at 290*. I don't use anything in the foil when I wrap other than the ribs. Check tenderness, and remove from cooker when perfectly tender. Four and a half hours maximum time at 290*.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #8
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

I tried those Walmart beef ribs - once.

Last week, I decided to try beef ribs again and got these from Restaurant Depot:

Maybe a little too meaty. I smoked them for 6 hours @ ~250*. The were good. Steak on a stick. Texture was closer to steak than fall apart beef ribs. Luckily I got another package of them in the fridge to keep practicing on.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
Sway
Full Fledged Farker

I have had ok luck with beef ribs from wally world, but just NOT enough meat on them.
Sway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #10
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

No meat, just bones. There are exceptions.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #11
Wampus

I did beef back ribs from Wal Mart once.

ONCE.

I did them at 300 for 1.5 hours and they were done (earlier than I thought).

Since then, I go to Restaurant Depot and get the beef short ribs. BIG difference.

VS

Old 01-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #12
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Mmm, Dino bones.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #13
Southstar Jeff
Full Fledged Farker

Maybe a little too meaty. I smoked them for 6 hours @ ~250*. The were good. Steak on a stick. Texture was closer to steak than fall apart beef ribs. Luckily I got another package of them in the fridge to keep practicing on.[/QUOTE]

I love the plate / short ribs from RD. I think you'll like them better cooked a little hotter. (275-300). The fat renders a little better. Biggest mistake I made when first doing these was under cooking them. They should probe VERY tender when done.
Smokey Joe Silver
RecTec
Southstar Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #14
BigBlock
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't care for the back ribs not enough meat but the short ribs are another story
i do the 3-2-1 one them at 250 and they turn out amazing
steake on a stick for sure
BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #15
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southstar Jeff View Post
I love the plate / short ribs from RD. I think you'll like them better cooked a little hotter. (275-300). The fat renders a little better. Biggest mistake I made when first doing these was under cooking them. They should probe VERY tender when done.
Yeah i agree. I was shooting for 275* to 300*, but it was in the 20* outside and just wasn't working. They did probe fairly easy, but some of the meat on top is pretty lean.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote