Thoughts on Thinning Sauce

japerry01

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I know people have used water, apple juice, butter/broth, and even honey. But what do the brethren find the best for maintaining a consistent flavor profile for the sauce you're thinning. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

White grape juice works well. Adds sweetness without being too overpowering.

try urine...its salty and it takes the sting out of jelly fish stings...

kidding aside..it depends on the sauce,,pineapple juice?peach necter?burbon? the best thing is to go out and cook. it will help you to devolope your "style". the only easy answer is to practice or stay in your own back yard.

I am fairly new at thinning out sauce but have used apple cider vinegar in addition with some of the other ingredients listed above.

One tip - when using H2O, use bottled water. The stuff that comes out of the hoses at comps often is less than pure and can add an off flavor to your sauce (and coffee!)

Cranberry juice, non sweetened. That is a superb addition to the flavor profile of many BBQ sauces.

A bit Off topic: We will enhance the bottled sauces too. We will simmer the cranberry juice in a small sauce pan with pieces of crystalized ginger. Once the ginger is softened, we put that and the sauce into the Vitamix and make a real nice ginger sauce!

It's all about how the food tastes!!!!

^^^+1 when I said water I meant bottled water, as Gavin said, dont want to bring in other water, especially unknown water with possibly skunky smells or tastes.

If you use the same ingredient in the same quantity to thin the sauce each and every time, how could the flavor profile be anything but consistent? Pick something - use it- and use the same brand and quantity every time.

Depends on the sauce. Bottled water if I like it straight up. Vinegar if it's too sweet for my tastes. AJ & corn syrup if has too much twang. Etc.... Etc....

Back