BBQ Brethren "Fruit" Throwdown

Indeed. We need to see this avocado whipped cream, NOW!:becky:

There is a restaurant here in SA that has something similar to this but its not quite whipped cream consistency. It's like qucamole and sour cream blended together into a creamy sauce. They serve it as the appetizer with chips and its pretty darn good. Hmm I might need to try to find a recipe and make this. I think I would pass on avocado flavored cool whip.

I could see an avocado whipped cream in some sort of layered dish like a 7-layer salad.

Bacon Blueberry Tart

You never know where these throwdowns are going to lead you. For your throwdown pleasure, I submit the Pie Iron Bacon Blueberry Tart.

The Pie Iron, fresh out of the camping stuff.

60PieIron.jpg

Laid in the pie dough and the filling:

61PieCrustandFilling.jpg

Then things got a little weird. I laid on top a partially cooked bacon weave.

62DoubleCrust.jpg

Folded in the Pie Crust and Made a Little Fancy Thing on the Top.

63DoubleCrust2.jpg

Locked and Loaded

64LockedandLoaded.jpg

Sitting on the coals

65OntheFire.jpg

I cooked the tart six minutes a side. Here's the second side cooking and the lid off the Pie Iron.

66ReadytoPull.jpg

I gave her a little dusting with powdered sugar, sliced and voila! (Please use the following photo)

67BlueberryTart2.jpg

Like I said, you never know where these throwdowns are going to take you. The whole time I was out of town this week, I planned on making a bacon apple pie. Don't get me wrong, I made that too.

7ApplePIe.jpg

At the end of the day, the tart was better! For the whole apple pie/blueberry tart show, I posted a thread on Q-Talk.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86383

Enjoy the throwdown, I did!

Last edited:
Amazing... I'm still trying to grasp this. I can definitely picture the apple pie with bacon, but I'm having trouble grasping the blueberries. Guess I'm just going to have to give it a try! :thumb: I must say those are cooked absolutely beautifully. It must've been a very inspiring business trip.

All I can say is WOW!
Great looking fruit from everyone.

I can definitely picture the apple pie with bacon, but I'm having trouble grasping the blueberries.

The pie filling has a good bit of maple syrup in it along with the dry spices. So it tastes much like blueberry pancakes and bacon. Since I had precooked the bacon weave, much of the grease had rendered out. The bacon crisped up for both the pie and the tart but the bacon flavor was more balanced in the tart. The pie was good but I liked the tart more.

Counting on you to give it a try.:-D

There was much experimenting that went on this week with fruit on the grill. This was the best tasting one that I came up with.
Candied mango wrapped in bacon and topped with whipped cream and smoked grated coconut.
Started by slicing up the mango taking out a pack of bacon.
0612102006.jpg

The mango was rolled in some white sugar and then wrapped in one strip of bacon each.
0612102019.jpg

From there, it was on to the grill.
0612102028.jpg

While those were cooking I took some coconut meat that I had smoked on the grill earlier and grated it.
0612102037.jpg

Off the grill they came.
0612102134.jpg

Then it was time for a stripe of whip cream and a dusting of the coconut. (please use this next pic for my entry.)
0613101253.jpg

Originally I had much grander ambitions including a pie and a mixed drink. But, wasn't happy with those results so I stuck with the mango. For those who want to know what the other stuff looked like, here you go.
0612102323a.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Amazing... I'm still trying to grasp this. I can definitely picture the apple pie with bacon, but I'm having trouble grasping the blueberries. Guess I'm just going to have to give it a try! :thumb: I must say those are cooked absolutely beautifully. It must've been a very inspiring business trip.
Ooooooh. I can SO totally see blueberries and bacon. Of course, this comes from a guy that likes peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches...

Back