Wine Barrel Smoker

I had seen one that is layed horizontal on top of a vertical drum that had a door cut into it of tending fire. woyld be cool to make one like that with another oak barrel as a faux shell on bottom. I will see if I can find pic.

I believe I would turn into a "vintner" real quick and make a chardonay to go with the ribs on my good ole steel UDS!!

just off the top of the noggin... how about using it as a the upper smoking chamber only... above a firepit... in the Double Barrel Smoker configuration.

That way... the fire is contained seperately... the only hard part... is to contour and seal the stove pipe flanges .

First, this isn't a wine board, so who cares if it is French oak? You aren't gonna get any flavor from the oak unless you burn it, so my first inclination is to chop it up and use it for a special occassion, maybe that Thanksgiving turkey? Think of the shocked look on your wine-snob friends' faces when you tell them how you smoked that bird!

If you must keep it, how about creating a fire box and piping in the heat/smoke from the side?

Found these somewhere...I think it's a good idea to build a smoker but just need to be real careful about having the lid off when you have a fire in the barrel. If it stirs up a fire as fast as my UDS then you'll have a nice fire on your hands in no time flat.

Attachments

• Wine Barrel smoker 1.jpg
    Wine Barrel smoker 1.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 424
  • wine barrel smoker 2.jpg
    wine barrel smoker 2.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 423
  • wine barrel smoker 3.jpg
    wine barrel smoker 3.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 425
  • wine barrel smoker 4.jpg
    wine barrel smoker 4.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 422
turn it into a cold smoker build a half uds.... pipe da smoke via ...4" pipe, and viola

"Cold Smoker" sounds like the best and most useful thing to do with it. Don't bust it up that is a pretty cool barrel to have around. I sure would like to have it. "Cold" smoking won't make it dry out as much and it would keep it's seal longer w/o waxing. JMHO

Wow interesting to say the least! I'm thinking unless you line it with something it would be hard to keep it from burning. Maybe if you kept it full of water before each use it would stay saturated enough to keep it from burning? That opens a lot of problems as far as air intakes (a plug ?). I'm sure you'll get plenty of other idea's here.

Looks like 2 planters to me.
ie, cut it in half and decorate the out side deck with.

If I were to make a cooker out of a wine barrel, I would use an 18" Weber kettle in the bottom with a ring of expando on its charcoal grate.

It looks like that's something like what the guy did in the pictures I posted ^^.
Your idea of expando ring sounds like the best idea for a charcoal basket.

I have made smokers out of a lot of different things......Just buy a hotplate and put it in the bottom of the drum and then make a metal box to put in chips and put that on the hotplate. You will have a cold smoker in no time. We use to do this with a wooden box and you could keep a nice temp in the box usually around 200 or less.

Wow you all are amazing! Thanks for the replies and ideas. A cold smoker could be a good option. Than would be nice for smoking bell peppers and making chipotle peppers. And of course salmon. Hmmm now you all got my brain going crazy now. My main concern was having stray coals but I never thought about the wood drying out over time. I'd sure hate to put all the work in to have the staves get gaps and let all the smoke out. Or just use the barrel to cover a UDS as someone else suggested.

Too many ideas not enough barrels!

Alright, well that got me thinkerin' and I decided to build one real quick. Didn't take long, you can see it's still kinda rough but it looks like it should work! =)

WineBarrelSmoker.jpg

Waddaya think?? Purdy nifty huh?

Good idea I just wonder how I would cut through the metal bands and keep the staves tight. Thanks for the sketch though. Tony Romas should sell their wax for smoking at Home Depot! Ha.

Sometime ago, I was contacted by someone who wanted me to roll a stainless liner to be used inside their wine barrel smoker. Something he told me was he used it with great results for about a year until the wood began to dry out and it leaked too much to be used anymore. He never did get me to make the stainless liner (cost im sure) so no idea what we ended up using it for. I'm usually all for a project that someone tells me either cant be done or wont work well but in this case, Id worry that something very nice would get ruined in the process.

If it were mine, I'd split it like a clamshell, line the inside with stainless, build a really sweet large grill / chicken cooker. You would have to think about how to keep the tension on the individual pieces but something like a turnbuckle on the inside and some carefully made pieces could do the trick.

Think wine theme griller..

Back