• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

looking for a good rub

S

soapy_junk

i am looking for a good rub.. either home made or purchased doesn't matter to me.. although home made would be cool..

i plan to use it mostly on pork butts and brisket.. was hoping to use it for both

i am looking for a good rub.. either home made or purchased doesn't matter to me.. although home made would be cool..

i plan to use it mostly on pork butts and brisket.. was hoping to use it for both

I just got my order from Simply Marvelous yesterday and can't wait to try them out! Also got a shaker of Plowboy's Yardbird Rub. Forgot to get the Sweet Seduction from SM, though.:roll: Will be getting some very soon!

Everyone has great things to say about SM's Rubs!

Thanks again for the quick shipping and looking out for a fellow Brethren, Steph!!:thumb:

I use Chef Paul's Honey BBQ rub for pork and turkey. Haven't tried it for beef yet. I like beef to be more salty than sweet.

Use the Google search at the bottom of the page.Enter foil hat rub.Awesome recipe for a home made rub from bigabyte :thumb::thumb:

I just got some of the Yardbird rub and used it last night. Big thumbs up from the whole family.

I make my own never have bought any. It's a modified K.C style that I use to make ENC pulled pork. I have been told I make the best PP in Eastern Tennessee. I'll be glad to share the recipe.

"looking for a good rub" Aren't we all?? :laugh: I tend to make my own as well. Kind of a mixture of onion salt, garlic powder & some minced, cinnamon, kosher salt, paprika, oregano, curry, cayenne, cumin, a bit of lowry's type seasoning & for extra heat I sometimes use something called "Slap yo Momma" a cajun-based hot as hell seasoning. Just my $.02 Also some sugar. I'm sure I could have missed something, but I'm just going off the top of my head. I kinda just start mixing stuff together & see what it tastes like. Funny how some of them taste so much better after a few beers!!

Last edited:
I recently tried Todds dirt. That will be one I keep on hand along with Texas bbq rubs. I have to try The Rub co. and Simply Marvelous yet.

Oakridge BBQ has IMHO some mighty fine rubs. They also offer sampler packs for a penny!

~ ONE PENNY SAMPLE 5-PACK ~

1 Penny Ultimate Combo Sample Pack - Includes All 5 Rub Varieties! That's over 7 Ounces of Rub for one penny! (plus $3.74 for shipping) - $3.75

www.oakridgebbq.com

Gary House
www.Cooking-Outdoors.com

I use all dried green spices, thyme, oregano, basil, marjoram, sage, ...
in equal quantities plus salt and pepper to taste.

I have a mini-blender used only for dry things. Blend until medium to fine.

I ordered a sampler pack from Dizzy Pig - so far nothing I don't want more of.

I like to make my own, although after hearing the reviews on here, I may start trying some of the rubs mentioned above.

For pork, I go with:
3 parts kosher salt
3 parts paprika
2 parts brown sugar
1 part mustard powder
1 part garlic powder

For brisket, I like to go with:
1 part kosher salt
1 part brown sugar
1 part paprika
1 part chili powder
1/2 part white pepper (if you really like that pepper flavor, substitute black pepper)

I like to make my own, although after hearing the reviews on here, I may start trying some of the rubs mentioned above.

For pork, I go with:
3 parts kosher salt
3 parts paprika
2 parts brown sugar
1 part mustard powder
1 part garlic powder

For brisket, I like to go with:
1 part kosher salt
1 part brown sugar
1 part paprika
1 part chili powder
1/2 part white pepper (if you really like that pepper flavor, substitute black pepper)

That pork rub sounds good.

Add some garlic and oregano to your brisket rub.

This was my go to rub for a couple of months until I got board of it..

1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup chili powder (i like hot chili powder)
3 tbsp. salt
2 tbsp. ground coriander
2 tbsp. garlic powder
3 tbsp. sugar
3 tbsp. brown sgr
2 tbsp. curry powder
2 tbsp. hot dry mustard
1 tbsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. dried basil
1 tbsp. dried thyme
1 tbsp. ground cumin
1 tbsp. cayenne pepper
1 tbsp. black pepper

Hope you try it. Enjoy.

Last edited:
I too have been looking for a good rub recipe. I don't buy the small jars so buying rub in bulk is a tough task.

I buy 10 lb or 5 lb packages and put into 32 oz Shaker Top Containers, but you have to be carefull as some rubs are almost all salt.

It's hard to find someone who prepares a rub that cares about the end product as much as you do. Most retailers are looking for the money, but not all.

american spice has an acceptable rub, but they are overpriced.

I am open for any suggestions for bulk purchases or for a recipe to try if captndan wishes to share his.

Back