MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:17 AM   #1
bmmat
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Help

I need your help, I have a new kamado and when i cook low and slow I can keep temp for the first few hrs, but after that it keeps keeping up past 300 degrees. any ideas for how to control temp

thanks all for you help
bmmat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2011, 03:40 AM   #2
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

Close the intake vent some or add a water pan

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-17-2011, 05:48 AM   #3
Bigfoot21075
Knows what a fatty is.

HOw long are you leting the temp "settle in" before you add the food? You should be able to set it and forget it after the initial burn... I let my egg go for about 40 min when I am doing a low and slow to make sure everything has stablized 100%. If I cut it short I am chasing the temp around after a few hours...

Are you opening it a lot? Does the vent move when you open it? Are you lighting the lump in the fire box and not usinf a chimney? Are you building your fire correctly? Here is a good guide until you get used to your cooker

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/pullpork.htm
BGE, Weber Summit, 22" Kettle, SmokinIt#3, Round Boy Pizza Oven, FLAMED Thermopen
Bigfoot21075 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2011, 12:33 AM   #4
bmmat

OK I'm new at this what is the proper way to build a fire, yes I use a chimney I add the hot coals to a hole I create in the center of the cold coals, let that heat for a short time with the lid open, then spread them around and close the lid and wait for the pit to climb to the desired temp and then add meat, any advice you have would be great. and yes I open my lid a few times to add wood

Old 08-18-2011, 12:36 AM   #5
bmmat

OK I'm new at this what is the proper way to build a fire, yes I use a chimney I add the hot coals to a hole I create in the center of the cold coals, let that heat for a short time with the lid open, then spread them around and close the lid and wait for the pit to climb to the desired temp and then add meat, any advice you have would be great. and yes I open my lid a few times to add wood

Old 08-18-2011, 01:21 AM   #6
Bigfoot21075
Knows what a fatty is.

For the ceramic cookers, build the charcoal pile and light it only in one place, in the center for a low and slow, the chimney gets too much going. The EASY way is to go to Lowes and buy a simple MAP gas torch and this device

http://www.thebbqguru.com/pages/The-...-BBQ-Tool.html

It takes just 90 seconds of holding the flame in one spot to get a low and slow going.

For high heat I light it in 3 different places. It really makes a big difference in how the temp goes.

You can do it without the golf club, it is just a bit more awkward.
BGE, Weber Summit, 22" Kettle, SmokinIt#3, Round Boy Pizza Oven, FLAMED Thermopen

Old 08-18-2011, 05:06 AM   #7
Guamaque
On the road to being a farker

I used the kamado for years, its great but a steep learning curve. The absolute hardest thing is to keep the temp down, not up, as you can see. The best advice I can give aside for the good advice mentioned already is this. Try to get to the point where you don't have to open the kamado at all. I know it sounds difficult, but every time you open it, its like a jet engine revving up. This means putting all the coal you need in at one time, smoke wood as well. Light only the side or center coals, just a few. Don't use the chimney. Use the guru. Its really hard with the kamado for long cooks without it, it just keeps the temp perfect with a few puffs per minute. If you go with the vents only, no guru, then close the vents on the bottom completely and crack the top open slightly. Good luck.
Guamaque is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2011, 08:35 AM   #8
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Have you also check for air leaks around your intake vent. That may be letting in too much air. Someone on here used hi-temp silicon caulk to seal around their vent and that helped quit a bit.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2011, 12:46 AM   #9
bmmat

Thanks all lots of good advice,,, on the kamodo how do you not open the lid you have to add wood for smoking every couple hrs

Old 08-19-2011, 05:49 AM   #10
Bigfoot21075
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmmat View Post
Thanks all lots of good advice,,, on the kamodo how do you not open the lid you have to add wood for smoking every couple hrs
With the egg, I mix my wood in with my lump when I am loading it. I can get as much or as little as I want.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #11
bmmat

how long does it last when you mix it in, mine lasts about 1.5 hrs with an overnight soak. I was thinking of going to chunks of wood thought i would last much longer. I'm going to get a wireless thermometer so i don't need to open the lid

Old 08-19-2011, 04:21 PM   #12
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

You're using chips and frequently replentishing them. Switch to chunks. Add a few in when you're loading up with coals. The chunks should be throughout the coals...from top to bottom. Once you dump your hot coals in you should not have to do anything else to the fuel except maybe toss a chunk or two on top of the hot coals to get immediate smoke (if it's even needed).

You should not be having to add wood during the cook at all.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2011, 04:26 PM   #13
Bigfoot21075
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmmat View Post
how long does it last when you mix it in, mine lasts about 1.5 hrs with an overnight soak. I was thinking of going to chunks of wood thought i would last much longer. I'm going to get a wireless thermometer so i don't need to open the lid
I never soak them, no need. If you mix them in with the whole load it lasts the whole cook. Remember, you are only lighting it in one small place in the center that is all. As the fire works it was through it burns more and more chips over time.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:35 PM   #14
Guamaque
On the road to being a farker

I agree with Cook, you should not have to add anything. That's the concept of the ceramic cookers. Its a different style than the offsets etc. Mix the wood with the coals and it will smoke for the entire cook. Usually have to watch for too much smoke since it is a closed system. Small air leaks, don't matter too much if you open the lid frequently. That is what causes the temp spikes.
Guamaque is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2011, 11:32 PM   #15
bmmat

you guys must be using chunks I was using chips they go fast