Dinner Last Night w/ pron

aawa

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Well my buddy that was laid up is finally mobile w/ crutches. So I invited him over for dinner. Also another buddy who is a month+ out of his gastro-bypass surgery is able to eat solid foods now and I invited him along with a few others(including my landlord) over for dinner.

I busted out the beef short ribs to do up, and some chicken breasts for my buddy with gastro-bypass.

The rib plates i trimmed up and the marbling was looking good on them, along with fatty pockets which I trimmed up so they rendered out to the yummy dericious fat.
XZgbbkO.jpg

FbcrT6O.jpg

I moisturized the ribs with based on an APL mixture of mustard, apple cider vinegar, worchestershire sauce and then rubbed them down with some kosher salt, season salt, course ground pepper, chili powder, cayenne.
Q8yUOuR.jpg

6qlENte.jpg

After almost 5 hours it was time to get the glaze onto the ribs and really let it soak in. I based it off APL's wrapping mixture with tweaks. I used better than bullion beef base, Diesel Daves maple syrup, mustard, water, and butter.
MKg5pIH.jpg

d7q7KnU.jpg

hVakTIc.jpg

9LkZQd1.jpg

I didn't get the prep of the boneless skinless chicken breasts, but I ended up brining them on a recipe based on PatioDaddio's turkey brine. Salt, dark brown sugar, lemon, orange, all spice, thyme, rosemary. I brined them for 4 hoursish and then took them out and patted dry and applied a left over chicken rub I made a while back (aka I dont remember what the recipe was) before I threw them on my UDS.

I pulled the ribs off and let them rest in the wrap after I vented the heat off of them. I then allowed the chicken to come up to 140 degrees internal temperature (no chicken picks yet) and got one of my trusty performers setup with 2 zone fire.

I then put the chicken directly over the coals and basted with JMoney's red sauce 2 while the other 2 i left unsauced. I flipped the chicken ever couple of minutes to ensure even cooking and basted the 2 breasts continously with the sauce.

While I was doing that I put the ribs in the oven and reinforced the glaze with some leftovers to help really build the flavor on the ribs. Here are some finished shots of the ribs and chicken.

oFRUiXY.jpg

fC3pGkH.jpg

DneoF2B.jpg

MsurUtH.jpg

Sauced chicken
TpbqldD.jpg

Unsauced
33D1rfp.jpg

I then took the short ribs off the bone and sliced them up. On the cutting board I had a slicing dressing using lemon juice and zest, olive oil, fleur de sel, and flat leaf parsley.
erxW7Mu.jpg

when plated up I sprinkled some chopped parsley and fleur de sel over the sliced ribs.
qZcN2Au.jpg

My plate. Roommate's gf made an amazing spinach, raspberry, pine nut, goat cheese salad, I also had some of my asian style sweet and spicy pickled onions, cucumbers, and banana peppers, some mixed veg, texas toast, short ribs and chicken breast.
dNtThb6.jpg

They all said they had never had short ribs like this before and it was incredible. A nice compliment from them really made the dinner worth it.

Thanks for looking.

Those ribs look awesome!

Great cook! You made those ribs look, well, now I'm hungry again :doh: and I just ate an hour ago.

Beef short ribs has become my favorite thing to bbq. There is something just luxurious and luscious about the flavor and texture that makes it oh so good.

Beef short ribs has become my favorite thing to bbq. There is something just luxurious and luscious about the flavor and texture that makes it oh so good.

Mine too. That was my goal this past summer. To get beef ribs right. And that I did. Just love em. I went to SAMs and bought a cryovac ( not sure that word is spelled right) of their short ribs. Two racks, three bones each. It cost over 50.00. But I got to tell ya. They were awesome! One bone was a meal.

Mine too. That was my goal this past summer. To get beef ribs right. And that I did. Just love em. I went to SAMs and bought a cryovac ( not sure that word is spelled right) of their short ribs. Two racks, three bones each. It cost over 50.00. But I got to tell ya. They were awesome! One bone was a meal.

Yeah this summer, I went through 4 cryovac worth of short ribs. Each cryovac was 4 plates, 4 bones each. All of them over $50. It was worth it to finally be able to do them right. This is the second time I did short ribs for people other than my roommates because the first 2 times I didn't get them completely right. Then the final 2 I nailed. It was worth spending the extra money to learn how to do the short ribs, but they are definitely a show stopper at a dinner.

Good Lord!!!!! Brother you just plum showed out!!!!! Man that looks AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

Always been more of a pork cooker, besides brisket of course. You have made me want to venture towards beef ribs! Those look amazing!!

Yes sir, looks great.

I need to dig some short ribs out of the freezer.

Well my buddy that was laid up is finally mobile w/ crutches. So I invited him over for dinner. Also another buddy who is a month+ out of his gastro-bypass surgery is able to eat solid foods now and I invited him along with a few others(including my landlord) over for dinner.

I busted out the beef short ribs to do up, and some chicken breasts for my buddy with gastro-bypass.

The rib plates i trimmed up and the marbling was looking good on them, along with fatty pockets which I trimmed up so they rendered out to the yummy dericious fat.
XZgbbkO.jpg

FbcrT6O.jpg

I moisturized the ribs with based on an APL mixture of mustard, apple cider vinegar, worchestershire sauce and then rubbed them down with some kosher salt, season salt, course ground pepper, chili powder, cayenne.
Q8yUOuR.jpg

6qlENte.jpg

After almost 5 hours it was time to get the glaze onto the ribs and really let it soak in. I based it off APL's wrapping mixture with tweaks. I used better than bullion beef base, Diesel Daves maple syrup, mustard, water, and butter.
MKg5pIH.jpg

d7q7KnU.jpg

hVakTIc.jpg

9LkZQd1.jpg

I didn't get the prep of the boneless skinless chicken breasts, but I ended up brining them on a recipe based on PatioDaddio's turkey brine. Salt, dark brown sugar, lemon, orange, all spice, thyme, rosemary. I brined them for 4 hoursish and then took them out and patted dry and applied a left over chicken rub I made a while back (aka I dont remember what the recipe was) before I threw them on my UDS.

I pulled the ribs off and let them rest in the wrap after I vented the heat off of them. I then allowed the chicken to come up to 140 degrees internal temperature (no chicken picks yet) and got one of my trusty performers setup with 2 zone fire.

I then put the chicken directly over the coals and basted with JMoney's red sauce 2 while the other 2 i left unsauced. I flipped the chicken ever couple of minutes to ensure even cooking and basted the 2 breasts continously with the sauce.

While I was doing that I put the ribs in the oven and reinforced the glaze with some leftovers to help really build the flavor on the ribs. Here are some finished shots of the ribs and chicken.

oFRUiXY.jpg

fC3pGkH.jpg

DneoF2B.jpg

MsurUtH.jpg

Sauced chicken
TpbqldD.jpg

Unsauced
33D1rfp.jpg

I then took the short ribs off the bone and sliced them up. On the cutting board I had a slicing dressing using lemon juice and zest, olive oil, fleur de sel, and flat leaf parsley.
erxW7Mu.jpg

when plated up I sprinkled some chopped parsley and fleur de sel over the sliced ribs.
qZcN2Au.jpg

My plate. Roommate's gf made an amazing spinach, raspberry, pine nut, goat cheese salad, I also had some of my asian style sweet and spicy pickled onions, cucumbers, and banana peppers, some mixed veg, texas toast, short ribs and chicken breast.
dNtThb6.jpg

They all said they had never had short ribs like this before and it was incredible. A nice compliment from them really made the dinner worth it.

Thanks for looking.
Awesome cook. You're friends look amazed. I love when family and friends get quiet when eating my Q and give you that look because it's the best they've ever had. Priceless.

Back