How about this Walnut Wood? [pr0n inside]

This is not your pork!

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I got these walnut wood branches from a neighbor:

walnut_wood.jpg

walnut_wood_closeup.jpg

I already searched the forum, it is mentioned that black walnut is not suitable due to bitter taste and it possibly being carcinogenic, but I have no clue if the wood I have here is black walnut or another kind.

Can anyone here identify the type of walnut from the two pictures above?

If it should be suitable, which kind of meat would it fit to?

i do not believe that is black walnut. i have some good chunks of black that came with a load of mixed hardwood i got but set it aside for firewood. it is very dark, almost black and very dense. ill see if i can find a pic of it to show you but what you have there doesn't even remotely look my black walnut.

Keep smokin
Josh

Here's a decent list of acceptable smoking woods from TVWBB. There are other lists out there on the web but this one is a good starting place.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/woods.html#appropriate

You will notice that walnut is listed as acceptable. Most folks will also tell you to go very easy on the amount you use as it imparts a strong smoke taste.

It works for me. Anyone else have a problem with the link? Dunno what to say.

Here's another thread that posted the same link. Give it a try.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139424

I tried both of these in "preview mode" and they worked fine.

Here's the message I get when I open your link

This content cannot be displayed in a frame

Dam! I see I double posted. I'll leave the second on intact so as not to type anymore.:loco:

To help protect the security of information you enter into this website, the publisher of this content does not allow it to be displayed in a frame.

What you can try:
Open this content in a new window

For some reason I can't drop a Print Screen version in the reply but that's the message.

It works for me. Anyone else have a problem with the link? Dunno what to say.

Here's another thread that posted the same link. Give it a try.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139424

I tried both of these in "preview mode" and they worked fine.

Here's the message I get when I open your link

This content cannot be displayed in a frame

To help protect the security of information you enter into this website, the publisher of this content does not allow it to be displayed in a frame.

What you can try:
Open this content in a new window

For some reason I can't drop a Print Screen version in the reply but that's the message.

ETA-When I follow your second link I get a page with the header info below followed by the original error message I posted.

Account Options>
Sign in

Settings Report abuse

WoodSmokingFlavorChart.pdf
Comments Share Anonymous Add a commentYour +mention will add people to this post and send an email.CommentCancelYou have no permission to add comments.
File Edit View Help

I see from your other posting that others aren't having problems so I must be special again.:tsk:

I have read that people/woodworkers have put walnut shavings in their kids hamster cages and suddenly the hamsters die. I love to work with walnut but will not smoke with it and try to avoid breathing the dust.

For the record, that does not look like any Black Walnut or Claro walnut that I have ever seen.

Thanks for the input, and great to have a smoking wood chart. In the first one there are two walnut types listed as suitable: black and "English".

I don't know which kind of walnut I have here, it's certainly not black, but I guess to be on the save side, I'll have to pass on both (walnut & magnolia), because I am not experienced enough to judge on smoke smell and I am not in the position to do experiments.

I'm a (former) woodworker and I love walnut's look. But I don't like the smell/taste :sad:

I've never smoked with it, just sawdust and woodchips in the mouth :wacko:

Back