270 Smoker

UMICH1

Got Wood.
Reaction score
So I've been cooking on a WSM 22" with Hunsaker Vortex Basket. Was going to buy a Hunsaker but came across 270 Smokers. I really like the flavor profile I get with the drippings hitting the Hunsaker basket. This weekend I tried using the original WSM charcoal ring and did a pork butt pit roast style with drippings hitting the coals directly. I didn't taste any difference just a bigger mess lol.

Anyways, at first I was concerned with getting a different style smoker and the taste profile, but now I'm not that worried. I'm sure the drippings in the 270 Smoker hitting the pans on the bottom is somewhat like the Hunsaker basket. Am I overthinking this lol. I really like what I have read and watched in regards to the 270 smoker.

I usually cook with water in the pan. Makes it easier to control the temps for me. Does like to ride at 270. The one time I didn’t use water, the cooker went much higher than I was expecting. But that was just me getting impatient/side tracked and leaving the vents wide open to get it up to temp faster. Can’t blame the cooker for my negligence.

I would avoid the official cover. It doesn't breath right and if outside can heat it up and cause weird discoloration. Replace the felt gaskets asap. Junk imo. The rope gasket they offer is a heck of alot better. Especially in colder climates.
The price is very reasonable and it is built solid. You won't beat it at the price. Its all welded. That being said not the prettiest welds but they are solid and functional.
Customer service is usually good but I had one time Stephanie was short with me. Bad day? Don't know.
Avoid cleaning with anything but Krud Kutter. It will void your warranty. Which one? I don't know. The manual does not specify. So maybe ask Stephanie which one. Should be in the manual and its not. They make Krud Kutter that is labeled Krud Kutter but its gutter cleaner. Probably not the right one lol.
Despite the flaws it cooks better than any other cooker I have used.
I have been trying to find a replacement since Stephanie was short with me. Nothing comes close. Trust me I have been trying. I gave up on replacing it lol.

Back